Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newmediacodec

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 looper

looper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Well, Hello , I`ve surfed around and finally arrived here where there seems to be a semblance of rational thought to deal with some trying subjects. The spyware that I use from EZ armor from CA came up with Newmediacodec as the culprit. It hijacked the desktop background and kept popping up various warnings and windows. Now I perhaps overreacted and rebooted windows xp and then lost my internet connection. So I`m sort of stuck in not being able to access the various websites for the proper spyware and malware to download. What to do ...any suggestions would be welcome. Nice to know I`m not alone. Cheers, Looper :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Do you have a flash drive? If you do, Spybot S&D and AdAware 1.06r1 can run from a flash drive. Just use a computer with the programs already installed and up to date, all you have to do is copy the Spybot and the Lavasoft folders to the flash drive, then you can plug it into the other computer, and run from the programs on the flash drive. This also works for a burnt CD. Let us know if the internet starts working
Edit: spelling.

Edited by oldf@rt, 13 August 2007 - 05:03 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter. A dos Window will appear.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: netsh winsock reset
Hit Enter.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go to Start > Run > type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
Hit Enter.
Close the command box.

Then go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

If you continue to connectivity problems, download and run WinSockFix.
Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided in the Winsock Repair Tutorial.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users