Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Can I Purchase Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bkmnew

bkmnew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hoping someone can help. I just replaced my moms hard drive for some reason she never received the recovery disks. the computer is old about 5 years but it has been restored 2x im at a loss because i have no clue how to get her the disk

any help would be greatly appreciated

Patty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

If you want the operating system on the new hard drive the recovery disk won't work. You'll need a Windows CD. Do you still have the old drive? Is it totally inoperable?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

If this an HP, Compaq or another brand name computer, a set of recovery disks can be ordered from the computer manufacturer. They normally restore the computer to the factory set up. FYI, most off the shelf systems have not included the recovery discs since around 2001, about the time that windows xp was released.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 looney2340

looney2340

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Correct many computers today dont come with recovery disks or floppy drives unless you ask for them at time of purchase. Depending on what was wrong with the last drive if your changing it because it was damaged or if you just needed more room, and how comfortable you are with working with a computer there are programs you can buy for example norton ghost i believe you can install that will allow you to make an image of your old drive and copy and load it to a new drive. Basically it takes a snapshot of the old drive and loads it to your new one and you can also save the copy and use it as a so called "recovery disk" but i would make sure there are no problems first because it will copy them as well for example virus and malware or spyware problems you may have.
I would try this as a last resort though i would first try and get a copy of windows and do a fresh install or get a copy of recovery disks. Just as suggestion if all else fails. Good Luck

#5 Koposhi

Koposhi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:19 AM

HP has a weird Support System. I needed a Set of Recovery CD/DVD,s sometime back and my machine was out of Warranty and after I explained neither CD/DVD worked with making my own, Customer Service ask for name and address and sent me a set Free Overnight Delivery. Not getting enough the first time around, I am now at this moment doing a Recovery on the newest machine I have. Problem the thing kept getting lost if it is on for quite a few hours/days. Using a set of DVD,s that I paid $23.00 for while my Computer had just started into it's Warranty period, but when you need them you do next best thing. Also has a multi-tasking problem with the 1 GB memory I am running. So Recovery and ordered two 1MB new memory. Might do a new Mother Board and an AMD 6000+, running a 3700+ now and it was getting pretty quick after a friend who know the DOS commands ran me through a few memory Tweaks, also helped my Boot time.

:thumbsup:

#6 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

There are a couple of ways to gain access and in effect take back control of your computer though the original installation disks are no longer present.I purchased in Nov.of 2006 a CD from the PCbeginner.com website.I purchased it for something like a rainy day,that is what if one day disaster was to strike.The cost was $29.95 plus $4.75 shipping and handling for a total amount of $34.70. Seller Information: PCbeginner.com help@PCbeginner.com For more support www.PCbeginner.org. I'am not certain but it may prove to be what it says it is and that would be quite a pleasent surprise.However you are advised to inquire as you would normally.I elected just a few days ago to provide for a neighbor this purchase that I made due to the fact that One I had not used it and two they were,that is my neighbors in need.I have provided for my neighbor something like a mentor though to a much lesser extent but still very useful and time consuming effort has been put forth to help the inexperienced and even more so the uncaring learn of a way that is what I care for.I have truly tried to help and this CD was given in the real hope and spirit that it could provide just that as the young man had lost his administrative privledges(he lost his password)and now was only able to access a limited user capacity.This CD promises to be able to uncover the information that this young man lost and there is even more value that was purchased with the PCbeginner.com CD.This is mostly mentioned as an out to a last resort.There are many complimentary applications that will accompany the PCbeginner CD.1.Disk Genius(www.diskgenius.com) 2.Drive Wizard Professional(www.CompuApps.com)3. Shield Professional 2006(AntiVirus and Firewall)(www.pcsecurityshield.com)4.Captain Mnemo(www.refog.com)WinTool\Password Management & Recovery\Password Recovery\KeyLogger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users