Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaceable Hard Drives?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

I bought the Archos 504, which is apparently more affordable because it has a laptop hard drive in it. My question is, I bought it with the 40GB and I want to bump it up higher. Can anyone forecast if it will have problems with: the new capacity, or the drivers with the new hard drive, or speed?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

can you pull the old HDD out? give us the specs (Make, Model, speed, part #) on the HDD please

Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

There's nothing about it on any mod sites and there's this quote from their site

"Can I add a larger hard drive?
No, this is not possible, not even in our workshops.

Note: according to the terms of use of the device, the final user has engaged itself to use this product in accordance with his initial purpose, without bring any technical modification that can attain to the rights of thirds.

The modifications made to the electronic circuits, to software or to the case of this product, must be expressly approved by ARCHOS, under penalty of cancellation of all the warrantee clauses."

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

Tough on Archos, I bought a Service Net replacement warranty :thumbsup:. And as I saw, yes, it is a normal laptop hard drive make by Hitachi. I don't see any further information on it. The one problem I will have is figuring out the HDD's interface. Anyway, any more advice anyone?

Could I use it as a bootdisk? Carry part of my computer around with me?

And kind of a weird place to ask this, but I can't find my former post, "Converting DVD's to MPEG-4?". So how do I convert DVDs to MPEG-4 through my computer?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 15 August 2007 - 02:54 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

the Part Number(P/N) of the drive will tell you its interface when searched for with the brand name (in 98 of 100 cases this is true) beyond that i have no idea

Posted Image

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

It doesn't say anything else... does that mean I will have to plug it into my computer (must have the right interface to boot!) or can I show you guys the picture of the interface? BTW my friend is borrowing the thing right now... I will have it back on Friday. I would really like to buy a hard drive ASAP if possible.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

I'll pull down my lappy for an minute and show you what Im talking about (Its a Hitachi HDD). will post again with pics

Edit: Camera not working so got some pics off of newegg.com of the 2 types of hitachi laptop HDDs

SATA connector
ATA-6 connector

Edited by BlackSpyder, 15 August 2007 - 06:16 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:07 AM

I hate to tell you this, BlackSpyder, but those two pictures look identical. Could you have another go at ATA-150 and SATA 3.0 (those are the 2 interfaces you were trying to show, right?).

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

Opps (ignor the man behind the curtain) accidentally posted the same link twice. try this Serial ATA 150 on for size. SATA 150

SATA 150 and ATA-6 are the only 2 i've seen from Hitachi (the only SATA3.0GBs drives were toshiba's on newegg)

Posted Image

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

You could look here HDD pinouts.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

OK I got it back from my friend and it say it's an IDE-PATA @ 4200. I haven't seen any other drives to match those specs, it's a little low-tech. Nvm I'm happy with it. I'll make this upgrade when I run out of room. Thanks for the help guys.

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

A quick WIKIpedia search shows that PATA is another name for ATA (it was retoractively named because of SATA). i would make sure that the interface matches up with another ATA drive first though. Also I could not find an ATA drive that ran a 4200 RPM all ran at 5400 or 7200 RPM which will eat into your battery life.

Posted Image

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

There are 4200 RPM drives out there, just check Newegg and Tiger Direct, they have them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users