Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macafee Site Advisor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Does anyone know why MacAfee Site Advisor (SAService.exe) needs access to the internet at startup? I guess I have to trust the program - but I don't understand why it needs to call home every day like this. (If I tell my firewall to block it, it doesn't seem to matter. Is it just a check for software updates?)
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

"McAfee SiteAdvisor Privacy Policy"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

On my computer, Site Advisor tried to call home every few seconds after I blocked it in my firewall. That stopped after I uninstalled it from IE (I don't do searches from IE anyway). I have Site Advisor installed in Firefox and it doesn't call home. Updating is handled differently in Firefox. Firefox will alert you when an extension/addon has an update available.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Alan D

Alan D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

"McAfee SiteAdvisor Privacy Policy"

Thanks for this. The following seems to be the most likely candidate for the 'call home' message:

Our software periodically sends us a unique, anonymous number so that we know that our software is working properly for you. This helps us know how many people are using SiteAdvisor and helps us plan the resources necessary to continue to provide you the great SiteAdvisor service.

But is that, in fact, what it's doing?
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#5 Alan D

Alan D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:21 PM

On my computer, Site Advisor tried to call home every few seconds after I blocked it in my firewall.

I suppose the question I'm asking is: why block it? I trust my AVG Security suite to have free access to the internet without keeping track of the details. Can't I trust MacAfee Site Advisor in the same way?

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

Let it call home, we got bigger fish to fry. There should be a way to tell the firewall to disallow this specific IP, but I haven't done that.
That said, every once in a while I switch to LinkScanner Lite because I don't have to deal with the nag screen of Site Advisor to buy this or that. I wish McA never bought them. They used to be good,superb in my opinion, but I worry they'll get ruined. But xpl is slower which annoys me as well. So I keep going back and forth :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users