Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fragmented Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:24 AM

After reinstalling windows xp and starting to defragment the drive,I noticed that as usual the files are spread out all over the drive. Some at the beginning some in the middle. Is there any way to install windows and everything else and have it at the beginning of the drive? Is there a way to defragment the drive after the reformat and partitioning and before the actual windows installation? I hope im making sense here.. It just seems theres gotta be a better way then having everything spread out everywhere. Any ideas are appreciated........

Thanx.. rayandmaura...................................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:52 AM

That unfortunately is one of the inherent problems that goes with installing the OS, you shouldn't have any problem defragging the drive, if you do let us know.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hi dc3 thanx for ur reply. I am able to defragment no problem but the display that shows where the files are placed on the drive shows them spread out throughout the drive. Theres like some at the begining some in the middle and some at the end even after defraging. I thought there was a way to defrag the drive before partitioning the drive or right after partitioning it. Am I wrong? In other words I thought I could degrag the drive before the windows installation. If thats possible and if anyone knows how please let me know Thank You..
rayandmaura

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

The purpose of defragging a drive is to make each file be located in a contiguous/continuous stretch of disk space. Where that space is, beginning-middle-end of the drive, is totally unimportant.

#5 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hi Pascor 22234, Thanx for your response. Thats the problem, the file system is not contiuos some of the files taking space on this drive are placed either at the front middle or end of the drive and there is huge gaps between blocks of files on the drive and that does make a difference. I have seen file systems that were truly continuos.
If anyone knows if its possible to defragg the drive before the windows installation please let me know.Would I boot from a cd or some kinda recovery console/DOS like program. Thanx for any ideas rayandmaura

#6 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:54 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I confused myself and made no sense. Thanx for helping me. rayandmaura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users