Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox - Annoyances That Just Won't Go Away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hi

Often, when I am typing in a search box or such as posting in this forum, this annoying pop up box appears in the bottom left of the screen, just above the system tray. It say's "Quick Find" .

It simply hijacks the letters I'm typing into it's on search box. Pressing the ESC key removes it but it comes straight back again. How do I get rid of it ??

Additionally, and sometimes in conection with this, the cursor dissappears totally when I'm typing in a search box. Crazy.

When using multiple tabs, I use the Home, Up, Down and End keys to quickly navigate. However, sometimes, when pressing the HOME Key, it takes me to the first opened Tab, instead of to the top of the page. It isn't constant, just occasionally.

Another annoyance that I can't figure out, is that when I'm typing, such as I am now, the cursor jumps up a few lines and therefore the text I'm typing also goes there. I'm not a touch typist, so my eyes are more on the keyboard than on the screen, so you can imagine what kind of mess I end up with.

Anyway, I tried all I can to figure these things out before posting, but with no luck.

Anyone have solutions for me?? Please..

OS. Vista Home Premium
HP Pavillion dv2500
Firefox 2.0.0.6

I know this isn't the right forum for this, but can anyone help me to find a site that gives a detailed and "very user friendly" guide for the
Nokia 6234. The manual that comes with it, is, well, to me anyway not helpful in actually "helping". So I'm not a high tech person, and guides such as "Nokia 6234 for Dummies", is right up my street! I've searched everywhere that I can think of. It's a fairly new phone, so there's not much on the web. Perhaps I'm just not "googling it" properly!!

Thanks all :thumbsup:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

I really haven't run into the problem myself, though I have heard of the search as you type bug: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Find_bar_opens_w...ping_in_textbox
Haven't tried it, but there's an extension out there to disable the search keys. http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html#searchkeys

This is all I could find regarding the tab bar key navigation, though it's marked as fixed. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=363934

The last problem you have there I have no idea about, I'm afraid.

Is this a clean install of v2.0.0.6, or was it installed overtop older installs? Sometimes with the older builds if you just installed overtop it could cause issues, or there might be a problem in the c:\program files\mozilla firefox\ folder itself, in which case you would just uninstall and reinstall.
Posted Image

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

Go to Tools > Advanced, then under the General tab, in the Accessibility section, un-check the two boxes...they say:

Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages.

And:

Search for text when I start typing.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

but can anyone help me to find a site that gives a detailed and "very user friendly" guide for the Nokia 6234.

Google is your best friend; Nokia 6234 user manual
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

but can anyone help me to find a site that gives a detailed and "very user friendly" guide for the Nokia 6234.

Google is your best friend; Nokia 6234 user manual

YOU ARE A STAR !!!!!!! (and yes I do know that typing in capitals is the equivalent of shouting...!!)

I am going to have to add you to my list of shining knights! There are a few of "you et al" that somehow manage to solve many of my (often redundant) questions and problems.

Thank you :thumbsup: :flowers:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

When using multiple tabs, I use the Home, Up, Down and End keys to quickly navigate. However, sometimes, when pressing the HOME Key, it takes me to the first opened Tab, instead of to the top of the page. It isn't constant, just occasionally.

This one I might be able to help with. It happens to me when I haven't "grabbed" the page I'm on with my mouse first. Especially in forums. Maybe I've scrolled in the middle with my wheel, like to read the replies, but I have to actually clicked my mouse somewhere on the current page. Then my Home key goes to the top of the page instead of opening the first tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users