Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Password Recovery

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 jdietz

jdietz

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

I purchased a used laptop on Ebay for my son for school. It has a local administrator password on it and I cannot load programs because of it.

Is there a way to unlock the password. I really do not want to have to buy an XP license.

I have looked on webattack and they do not show anything.

Thank you!
jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:30 AM

Can you post the link where you bought the laptop? A link to the sale?

Do you have a Windows XP CD?

#3 jdietz

jdietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

I do not have the link with me. I am at work.

I do have an XP Pro cd from my home system and a XP Home Cd from my daughters. Both have been used and registered. I do not believe in shareware operating systems.

I can get the sales link this evening when I get home.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

Unfortunately these forums have a policy not to assist with bypassing passwords.

It is against the policy of BleepingComputer to provide information on methods to reset or bypass the Administrator password. Though your question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for less savory reasons. It is for these reasons we do not provide this type of information.

Good news is if there is a sticker with a Windows product key attached to the case, then you should have a valid Windows license. You may be able to use your existing XP CDs to reinstall Windows, since the license is tied to the product key and not the CD. You just have to make sure the CD you use matches the type of product key. XP Home to XP Home, Pro to Pro, and they need to be OEM (not retail store-bought) CDs.
Posted Image

#5 jdietz

jdietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

Thanks, I did not know about the policy!

Both copies were bought at Sams. I really did not want to reload the laptop as I have had problems in the past with drivers for laptops.

I guess I will have to go to Sams and buy another XP home.

Jim

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

It may be possible to order the factory restore disks from the manufacturer of the laptop, that way you get the OS and the drivers/programs included.
This is almost always less expensive than buying a new XP CD as well, usually the charge for a restore CD is no more than $15-$20.
Posted Image

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

Any chance you can recontact the seller and get the Admin password from them?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 Verify

Verify

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

I'm not saying anything but a quick search on youtube would help you immensely and theres no charge.. :thumbsup:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:11 AM

Both copies were bought at Sams. I really did not want to reload the laptop as I have had problems in the past with drivers for laptops.

I guess I will have to go to Sams and buy another XP home.

If you get another copy of XP from Sams you're still going to have the same problems with drivers as you would if you used one of the disks you already have.

Can you get into Safe Mode?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:03 AM

Does the laptop have a genuine Microsoft sticker on it with the product key? If so, I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the PC and see if they will sell you a copy of the recovery CD's for your model. They're cheaper than a copy of XP and they typically contain the drivers needed for the laptop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Verify

Verify

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:33 AM

If you still need help PM me and I'll give you a step-by step guide.. if that's allowed.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

I don't think it's allowed (but I don't make the rules, so you never know). FWIW there are ways of doing it; any local tech worth their salt should be able to help.

#13 Verify

Verify

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

Believe me.. if I know how to do it anyone can.

#14 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

i would just search some more
it shouldnt be hard to find.
its out there even for vista just go to look
i even posted it as a tip in one forum
asked permission from the moderator first
had to make sure it was ok to post
and not go against terms of service

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

If you still need help PM me and I'll give you a step-by step guide.. if that's allowed.

It is against the policy of BleepingComputer to provide information on methods to reset or bypass the Administrator password. Though the question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for less savory reasons. It is for these reasons we do not provide this type of information.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to send me a private message. Thank you for your understanding.

Animal
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator

Reference: BleepingComputer Board Rules

Utilizing BleepingComputer's PM system is also considered providing information, just to clarify a point that seems unclear to some.

What you feel about this matter on your own time is entirely up to you. For liability purposes and for the entire site it has been decided BleepingComputer cannot verify claims made, therefore we need to err on the side of caution. The information is out there, we do not provide it, nor allow our members to provide it 'here'.

This topic is closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users