Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Monitor, Mouse, Speakers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sake

Sake

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Monitor
Yeah, I'm getting a Dell XPS 720 and the monitor that comes with it costs $390, a 20" UltraSharp 2007WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel. I was wondering if there was a better monitor I could buy with less, or the same amount of money.

Mouse
1. Razor DeathAdder Gaming Mouse ($60)
2. Razor Copperhead Tempest Blue Gaming Mouse ($75)

Are either of these worth it? The games I plan to play are WoW, CS, Guild Wars, etc. Are these even worth it? $60 is a lot of money for a mouse, does it really make that much of a difference?

Speakers
1. Dell WL6000 5.8GHz Wireless Rear 5.1 Speaker System with Subwoofer ($100)
2. Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer ($50)

$100 sounds like a lot of money just for speakers. Again, what I'm pretty much asking is can I get better speakers than the one Dell is offering me for the same amount of money, or less? Less is always better, though. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

Rule of the Economic Thumb:

"gaming" add 10 dollars to the item.
"extreme" add 10 dollars to the item.

My own preference for buying peripherals like the ones you are discussing is a preference for making a trip to (for example) best buy and actually seeing, touching, hearing different models and brands. For example, a mouse is a mouse is a mouse---everything else being equal, what is important is how it "feels" and fits your own hand. I played WOW very well with just a regular mouse (it might be another thing if you are doing first-person shooters like Doom, but I can't say for certain). The same can be said for monitors and speakers. Keep in mind, too, that retailers will often have sales or closeouts on discontinued (LY's models) items that can save you additional money.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 13 August 2007 - 05:59 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:39 AM

Most Dell monitors are very good. Sound quality is up to you as what's acceptable. I have a set of Creative Labs I spent about $80 a few years back, that I love them. A mouse is also personal preference. I cut my teeth on a proprietary trackball. and I use a Kensington Expert. I have a hard time using a regular mouse. For the mouse and keyboard, it really pays to try them out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

I preach Logitech peripherals I love the MX7 laser mouse and I had a pair of z680 speakers that were awesome. Now I use my home theater for the sound. But as everyone said try out the mouse at the store. Take for example Logitechs newest mouse the MX revolution I don't like the way it feels compared to the older MX series.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

I like logitech as well but i bought a MS Explorer 2.0 Wireless (currently on clearance at Wally-World $30) that I couldnt be happier with. A home entertainment system with a good sound card will go miles further then a computer speaker set up My RCA 7.1 (500W) surround dances the jig around the neighbor's Creative 5.1(200W) set up and will last longer and serves more purposes then just for my computer (DVD,PS2,Xbox,TV,ect)

Posted Image

#6 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

I'd get this mouse, these speakers, and this monitor.

#7 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

Thanks guys! I ended up buying logitech mouse and speakers. I'm still deciding about the monitor, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users