Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Winxp To Open

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cautiouz

cautiouz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

I hope after reading this, you would be able to direct me to the right forum. Thanks in Advance.

For some reason, I am unable to get into windows.

When it starts up, it takes me to the login screen but when I login, it tells me its loading the settings and that's it. Nothing else happens. Just my green WINXP wallpaper is visible.

I went into safe mode and after logging in, all I got was the black screen with safe mode in each corner of the screen.

I then accessed my task bar. Initiated new task, trying to access files. I was able to access my files using the new task option but thats it. I ran several of my cleaners and as a result, winlogon.exe was put into quarantine. I tried loggin on again and still didnt work.

Its like...something is keeping me from accessing windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

Was the winlogon.exe file that was put into quarantine in the C:\Windows\System32 folder? Because I understand that this file is required by Windows and that may be why your system won't boot. Try running the System File Checker (sfc), which will hopefully replace the file.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users