Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word 03 - Won't Open Documents; Won't close right

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spookyfish

spookyfish

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:12 AM

Problem 1: When I try to open Word documents, Word will open but then tell me "The file <blah> is not available." I can still open the documents using other applications, such as Microsoft Works, so I know it's not a problem with the file.

Problem 2: When I click the lovely X to close Microsoft Word, I get a popup that says "The file Normal already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" It doesn't matter if I click Yes, No, or Cancel, it then opens the "Save As" window, with the folder being "Templates." So I hit cancel and then I get another popup that says "Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal. Do you want to save those changes?" I hit No (I've also tried Yes) and it finally closes. And then I cry myself to sleep.

Any suggestions at all? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office, but that doesn't fix it. Thanks for reading all this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:49 AM

Please click here for information. Let us know if that doesn't fix the problem.

~67~

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:45 PM

The basic Word template appears to have been corrupted. One workaround is to " start a new file by clicking the new page icon, hitting Ctrl/N or clicking File/New."
Here is an informative article about Normal.dot, from which I just quoted:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009...icle.asp?ID=151

Microsoft provides a procedure to "fixing" the Normal. dot file here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q247028/

(You rename the Normal.dot file, and let Windows create a new one upon launch.)

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:02 AM

Word will create two different file types: Ordinary documents are saved with a .doc extension but templates are saved with a .dot extension. When creating a new document based on the Normal.dot template make sure when using the File, SaveAs dialogue box that the file type in the lowest drop down "Save as Type" reads .doc and not .dot. Its very easy to miss and can overwrite your standard template.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users