Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Live Search

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coup d'etat

coup d'etat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:01 AM

:thumbsup: Microsoft has finally gone over the line with me. When IE7 first came out I tried it and immediately uninstalled it because of its "Live Search" built-in hijack. That was awhile back and I had forgotten why I uninstalled it... figured it must have been because I was just too resistant to change. Not so. Recently I upgraded My Office Pro to 2007 and decided to make sure everything was up to date. The first thing Microsoft wanted to update was to IE7. I did and I was immediately reminded of the "Live Search" monkeyshine. No matter which Search provider you specify your search will initially be through Microsoft via their incognito domain A9.com although you most likely will never see the evidence of that in the URL in the address bar. There is no known way to disable or remove their "Live Search" "feature". You can get around it by just browsing to your preferred search provider but you must be sure to do that or Microsoft will hijack your search. Bill Gates just felt left out because he didn't have a big stake in the search engine market which is worth billions by now. Live Search is his way to jump to the front by forcing all searches originating within IE7 to go through his search engine. He did learn one thing from those "Free" software vendors... People will click on "I Agree" and agree to anything in order to get free software. I'll bet that permission for Microsoft to hijack your searches is in the EULA just so there is no legal recourse but to uninstall it. Bill, you have stooped to a new low and it makes me wonder just what you are putting in all of those critical security updates. Trust is something that is very hard to regain once it has been lost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:45 AM

You can change the search provider for Live Search.

Search provider options include traditional search engines (e.g., Google, Yahoo!), shopping sites (e.g., Amazon, eBay, BestBuy), reference sites (e.g., Wikipedia, About.com), and news and sports sites (e.g., USA Today, ESPN), among others.

Click Search Options > Find More Providers and select a provider by clicking its link. To make this new search provider your default provider, select Make this my default search provider. Then click Add Provider.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:00 AM

A9.com seems to have some kind of relationship with ALEXA, a known purveyor of malware, you might want to run a spyware scan with Spybot S&D

I found this on Wikepedia
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 coup d'etat

coup d'etat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

It doesn't matter who you select for your "search provider". Microsfot makes itself the gateway for whatever you search for using the search tool built into IE7. You may have to delve a little deeper to see that this is true but is certainly is. Microsoft hijacks your search unless you specifically browse to your search provider's web site and use their search form.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya Coup d'etat,

I get the strong impression that you are not a great lover of Microsoft and their patron Mr Gates.

However that aside, Iwould tend to agree with Budapest and oldf@rt over this issue, certainly regarding the spyware and malware, I have run I.E 7 since its inception and my default search is Yahoo, Microsoft have never had a look in over this matter.I simply elected that Yahoo be my search engine by default and so it has been.

regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users