Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Mgr Is Compressed Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adras

Adras

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

I installed Vista Ultimate on my friend's laptop about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and until today, he had no problems. He called me earlier today asking me why when he started up his computer, it showed the usual "VAIO" for the post, and as soon as that goes away, instead of the common "Boot mgr is missing" error, he got "Boot mgr is compressed" and the usual Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart. I had him go into Bios and reset factory defaults for boot, and made sure that there were no disks in the drive (he only has a CD drive, no floppy drive). I also had him check to make sure that the internal HDD was the primary boot device.

I'm certainly not the best with computers, but I do know a bit about them, but this is beyond what I can do. I've had him try everything that I can think of, and unless I'm completly missing something obvious, I'm going to have to reinstall vista. I looked up some information about the "boot mgr is missing" error, and it was suggested to start re-installing Vista but instead of installing, just repair. I dont know if that will format the hard drive or not because on my computer, if I have a problem big enough that it requires a reformat, I completly format it. If I have to reinstall, its no big deal, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:36 AM

If he can't get into Windows, the best option is to try the repair. Other methods are available, but this is by far the easiest fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Adras

Adras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

When you run the windows repair, does it format the hard drive? If it does, I have to get the stuff off his computer by a method I'm not positive will work, but hope it does. Anyways, I just need to know whether or not repairing windows erases the hard drive. Like I said, I never repair, I always format, so I dont have a lot of experience with it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:57 AM

Startup repair is the process to repair the startup of the system. A repair install will leave your programs and data intact. A regular install "may" offer the options for an "upgrade" or "custom" install. I believe that the upgrade will preserve your data, while I know that the custom can overwrite everything (depending on what you tell it to do).

To get the data off of the computer (and eliminate this worry), use a boot disk (either a Live Linux distro, a copy of BartPE, or a copy of the UBCD) to copy the data to removable media. Once saved you can experiment to your hearts content :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users