Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incompatible Bios?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mish

Mish

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

Unfortunately my 3yo decided to turn off the BSOD before I could write down what the code on it was (ohhh that made me mad!) so I'll try my best to describe the issue...so sorry if I don't do it well enough!

When booting up my system for a few weeks I have been getting the message that the primary slave drive is ATAPI incompatible. I only have one hard drive, so as far as I knew I didn't have a slave drive, only the master one.

Today when I turned on my DH's PC, the BSOD came up with a warning that the BIOS is something incompatible (began with an A... it's the only letter I remember UGH) and to log onto http://www.hardware-update.com for the latest BIOS update. I've wandered in circles for AGES on the site & can't find a dang thing other than page links to more page links. No actual information or anything.

I've managed to re-boot using last known good configuration & the computer is now running CHKDSK, but I can't for the life of me work out what the BIOS issue might be.

The PC is about 4yrs old & is the Athlon version of a Pentium 3 with 512meg RAM & I run Windows XP.

I totally understand if this isn't enough info, if there's something else needed, I can probably get it for you if I'm told how.

Thanks so much~!

Edited by Mish, 12 August 2007 - 08:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

Is your date and time accurate? This could be as simple as your CMOS battery going south.

If you go to the control panel, click on administrative tools, and then event viewer you can look in the event column to see what errors have occurred. In the event column just right click on the item and choose properties to see what it's about. Let us know what you find please.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:19 AM

Check your Event Viewer for error messages around the time of the BSOD - often there's a record of it in there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users