Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hcappres.dll Is Not A Valid Windows Image

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeteH

PeteH

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

When I try to run Windows Help and Support from the Start menu, or click a help link in a program popup window, I get the following error message: "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HCAppRes.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I'm running XP Home, SP2. I don't find this .dll file on the XP installation CD to check it against. I've tried a couple of registry scans (RegCure and Registry Mechanic) with no luck.

How can I make Windows Help work? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

Try running the System File Checker (sfc).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

You should be able to download a fresh copy of HCAppRes.dll from here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 PeteH

PeteH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

Budapest, thanks for both tips. I ran System File Checker and it got rid of the hcappres.dll error and allowed Windows Help and Support to run. However, I also started getting another error saying that ...\MSOXMLMF.DLL was invalid. I used your download link and got myself a new copy of that file and saved it to the error message's directory, and now I have no more error messages! Thanks again. PeteH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users