Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Upgrading Ram

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 edwilson

edwilson

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

I want to upgrade the meager 256MB of memory in my Dell desktop. I scanned my system at this site, which informed me which memory was compatible with my comp. They suggested I add a 512MB stick to my empty slot, along with my existing 256MB one - the price there seems like a good deal and I'd like to have the extra memory, but a friend of mine says this isn't a good idea, that you should not "step up" the memory in this way because it can cause problems with performance. He says he would only advise adding another 256MB, or removing my existing memory and adding two 512MB sticks.

So my question is, is he correct? Would there be an issue with having different sizes in the two slots? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

Unless you are doing high end gaming or video editing I doubt you will notice the difference. The performance you will gain going from 256 to 768 will be well worth the price of the up grade. If you have the money to replace both with a pair of 512 that would be sweet.
If you can afford it upgrade the 512. You could always remove the 256 and see if your performance is better with a single 512 chip, verses 768 of mismatch chips.
Go for it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:46 PM

Your friend is most likely referring to memory running in "dual channel", which basically means that if you have two matching sets of RAM sticks, the system is able to squeeze more bandwidth from the memory, allowing for a faster system.

And while there definitely is a performance boost from running dual channel, it isn't huge. Your first priority should be the upgrade of the RAM. Anything above 256 will give you a distinctly noticeable performance boost. As acklan said, if you can afford a gig, go for it by all means, but not running dual channel isn't going to hurt you any.
Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

From what Crucial is suggesting for a maximum amount of RAM I suspect that you don't have the option of dual channel operation with that motherboard, but if they suggest that you can increase that RAM to 512 per slot you can usually take their advice to the bank. I don't know what your friend was basing their concern on, but in this case I wouldn't worry about adding the recommended RAM.

A increase of 512MB will make a big difference in you performance even if you are only going on line, go for it!

One issue that hasn't been mentioned here is using modules of different speeds, Crucial suggests modules of PC2700 and PC3200, what you should be aware of is that you can mix the two different speeds but the faster module will only run as fast as the slower module.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 edwilson

edwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

OK, thanks a bunch everyone for the upgrade advice and info. about dual channel - much appreciated. I went ahead and ordered two of the 512MB PC3200 sticks - the price is reasonable and the increased performance should be worth it.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

I would go for 2 512MB sticks (since it would only be $60) and ditch the current RAM as it would give you the better bang for your buck.

Posted Image

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

OK, thanks a bunch everyone for the upgrade advice and info. about dual channel - much appreciated. I went ahead and ordered two of the 512MB PC3200 sticks - the price is reasonable and the increased performance should be worth it.

You're going to love the difference!

Just a note of caution, all it takes is a very small amount of static electricity to kill a RAM module, to ensure that you are safe simply touch the metal portion of the computer case to discharge any static electricity before handling the RAM modules.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

cas 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146889
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:21 AM

Upgraded a Dell from 256 to 1 gB + 256 yesterday (DDR) and the customer was very happy with the improvement. If using DDR2 you may see a performance increase when using Dual Channel mode - but I've never noticed any benefit with just plain DDR.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users