Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

9 Gb Windows Folder?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rudicantfail

rudicantfail

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

I'm running Windows Vista on an IBM Thinkpad (T-series). I only have 20GB out of 60GB of space left, which is odd, considering the fact that all of my music and movies are on an external hard drive. I also noticed that my Windows folder is 9GB. Is this normal? How can I increase the amount of free space on my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Adras

Adras

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

Windows Vista takes up a lot more room than XP or any other of the older systems takes up. That is one of the downsides of Vista, among other things (such as it being a memory hog). I dont know if different versions of Vista take up different amounts of room, but I have Vista Ultimate and it takes up about 8.5 GB.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

Actually, 9 or 10 gig is about right for vista. Every time a new windows is released, it seems to double in size from the previous version.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 rudicantfail

rudicantfail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:24 PM

ugh, that is kind of annoying. I've also noticed that the amount of used space is much more than the total amount of GB of all of the folders in the C: drive. The folders add up to about 20GB, but my computer is saying that I've used up 40GB. Why is this?

I'm just trying to get my computer to run faster...

#5 Adras

Adras

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:40 AM

Freeing up space on your harddrive will only help your computer run so much faster. To help it run better, make sure you have the minimal amount of programs loading on startup, dont run many programs or processes in the background. Make sure your processor and RAM are at decent levels to run Vista. The processor isnt that big of deal because Vista is a RAM hog, but if you have less than 512MB of RAM, I would suggest either getting more RAM or downgrading to XP. Thats my personal opinion, though someone may have a better idea of something to do.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:48 AM

Vista needs 2 gig of ram to run decently.

As far as the used hdd space, you probably have quite a few temp files.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users