Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything Broken After Major Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

while playing itunes, my pc upstairs has just suffered some kind of huge error.

The whole thing locked up and the sound jammed, wouldnt respond to anything and I had to turn it off.

Upon restarting, nothing works.

My computer does not open, it either hangs or opens showing the torch symbol searching for files, then hangs.
Help and support function (where System Resore is) does the same thing.

After I have tried either of the above, nothing works on desktop, can't click on any folders or anything

The little green linksys icon and other icons are missing from the task bar.

When windows loads, I also have an error box headed "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library", which reads:

Runtime Error!

Program: ...ch\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe

abnormal program termination

I am running XP Professional, all service packs and updates installed, 2 GB Ram (it might be worth noting at this point that I seem to be having some memory problems... different errors occuring with identical code in a couple of games) and a GeForce8600.

The Pc has locked up like this a few times but this is the first time where anything has been wrong on reboot.

Please help!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

If you suspect that you have memory problems try running memtest86 to test the memory.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

Please check the Event Viewer for errors (particularly in the System and Application logs). Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Double click on the errors closest to the time when the system started acting up - and post the results here for us to have a look at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

You could try booting into Safe Mode and uninstalling the Logitech program associated with this.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...ackweb-8876480/

"Windows errors related to backweb-8876480.exe ?
backweb-8876480.exe is a process that comes with the Logitech Products software. It manages the automatic update check as well as providing you with new for the latest offers and products from Logitech. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference."

-------------------------

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/...876480.exe.html

" "backweb-8876480.exe" is installed with the software for Logitech products. It checks for software upgrades from Logitech.
It's present under Software => Logitech Desktop Manager, where it can be uninstalled."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users