Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Antivirus And Antispyware For Vista ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:27 PM

I so far use AVG Antivirus and Spybot, and also Avast (I think it came with Vista but) but Avast seems very complicated - any help on this ?

AVG Antivirus always comes up clean as does Avast, but Spybot usually finds something.

I somehow don't think that the above programs are sufficient so would like to have some guidance on what other programs that are vista compatable.

I know that there are sites such as http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...patibility_List ?
but collective user feedback is far more useful and informative!

Also, Firewalls. Ok, so basically, all security type software!

Many thanks.
Nat :huh:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

Vista comes with a firewall built-in so buying one is optional especially if you use a router which has it included. I generally don't like using separate vendors for security programs. For instance, I wouldn't use Norton for Anti-virus and ZoneAlarm for the firewall. I find all inclusive Internet Security programs easier to use. I use Trend Micro's PC-Cillin 2007. Before that, I used ZoneAlarm Internet Security until I discovered that it wasn't working properly with my Bittorrent program. PC-Cillin works quite well actually on both Vista 32 and 64-bit OS'. Keep in mind, if you are using 64-bit versions of Windows that many security vendors offer compatible versions but they often have issues mainly related to missing items and false positives.

Article: Antivirus Struggles on 64-Bit Vista

3939.png

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:14 AM

I currently use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. According to reviews on the net, it is one of the best suites out there. It includes an excellent firewall, a strong antivirus using the Kaspersky engine and a sub-par antispyware. Note that the Vista version does not have Spy Site Blocking which is only available in the XP version.

I would suggest the following pack:

- for Security Suites ----> Zonealarm, make sure you get the vista compatible version (disable your Windows firewall)
- standalone Antivirus ---> Kaspersky, BitDefender, Norton 2007 (yes, Norton - it is a good product and much better than the 2006 version)
- standalone Firewall ----> use the Vista one and a router combined as there are very few compatible firewalls for Vista. Make sure you use the Advanced Firewall rules in Vista that allow outbound protection
- Antispyware - Spywareblaster, SUPERAntispyware (Free version), Spy Sweeper

These are just my suggestions, but they all work well with Vista 32-bit.

Happy security hunting. :huh:

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:16 AM

I meant to say:

Use either:
- a security suite AND several antispyware scanners
OR
- a standalone antivirus, a standalone firewall, several antispyware scanners

:huh:

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

Keep in mind that ZoneAlarm's Internet Security does not work for 64-bit versions of Vista. This is disappointing because it was a good product....well, when it wasn't creating havok with bittorrent. For 64-bit OS's you can get Norton (good luck removing it if you decide you don't like the software), McAfee, Kaspersky, or Trend Micro. The best security product balances protection with the amount of computer resources it consumes. You want protection, but you also want your computer's speed to remain fast.

3939.png

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hi, as for your Anti-virus programs the free ones Avast or AVG (by the way you should only run 1 anti-virus program, you have 2 I would uninstall one of them ) or If you want to pay for one as DJBPace07 says Trend is a good program (i prefer the free ones as they do a fairly good job). As for anti-spyware I use AVG anti_spyware (yes I pay for it, about $25AU a year) or Adaware or the Super antispyware.
All of the products mentioned in the posts here are very good programs.
MCP
MSDST

#7 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hi nat,

I use the following on theses different computers.

Pentium II 300MHz running 98 SE
ZoneAlarm Firewall
Avast & Grisoft AVG (these two play well together and both have caught different things at different times)
Spybot S&D & AdAware (freeware) antispyware

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz running XP SP2
ZoneAlarm Firewall
Norton Antivirus
Spybot S&D, AdAware (freeware) & Windows Defender antispyware

AMD 2.8 Dual running Vista Premium 32
Windows Firewall (ZoneAlarm doesn't play well with Sophos right now)
Sophos Antivirus (so it's compatable with my company's network)
Spybot S&D, AdAware (freeware) & Windows Defender antispyware

nat, keep in mind antivirus and antispyware are different type of programs looking for different types of programs. I've had Spybot find keyloggers that Norton Antivirus ignored. I've had tracking cookies caught by AdAware that were ignored by all the antivirus softwares. So we use different things for different things.

One thing you might try with Spybot & AdAware - boot up in safe mode and then run them.

Edited by Russsl, 15 August 2007 - 09:05 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

I use AVG Free, Windows Defender, and the Windows Firewall with good success (have been using it since beta 2 of Vista). Most infections that we see at work are the result of:
1) Opening an infected email (includes the "preview pane" in most email apps)
2) Clicking on popups/links to close them (when it actually gives permission to the bad stuff)
3) Downloading "free" music/videos.

A protection package won't catch all of these - primarily because they rely on the user to give them permission to do their dirty work.

Edited by usasma, 16 August 2007 - 06:12 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 katabby

katabby

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

i'm surprised nobody mentioned windows live one care. it seems to play nice with vista.
I thought adaware wasn't compatable with vista.

#10 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

Windows live care has failed numerous Virus tests and I would personaly stay away from it at the moment. As for Adaware yes katabby you are correct its not Vista ready yet...I have too manyPCs running differnet OS I keep forgeting to look at Vista ready!
MCP
MSDST

#11 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

Hi Usama, How are you?

2) Clicking on popups/links to close them (when it actually gives permission to the bad stuff)

With regard to the above, when a popup appears such as one of those nasty ones that tells you your computer is infected and to use their program to protect etc, I usually click on the close tab a.s.a.p. Is this the wrong way of doing things? What is the optimal method of closing these popup windows?
Cheers

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

Hi Nat!
The easiest way is to press Alt and F4 - or right click on the item in the Task Bar and select Close from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:21 AM

Hi Nat!
The easiest way is to press Alt and F4 - or right click on the item in the Task Bar and select Close from there.

Hi usama
Thanks for that. One question though. Both these methods close down the whole browser, not just the page in question. Is there a way around this?

Cheers

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:57 AM

I suppose there is a way to do it, but I haven't looked into it (it'd involve using a process manager to stop that particular thread).

At times you'll be able to right click on the icon in the upper left corner of the window and select "Close" - but if they're smart enough to reprogram the buttons in the window, they should be smart enough to reprogram that also.

If you're concerned about the open windows, bookmark the entire group and then close the browser. Then you can edit the bad link out of the group before opening it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users