Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dam Firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Angelo

Angelo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:03 AM

Just recently downloaded Service Pack 2. While i was screwing around the other day the little icon told me firewall disabled.
I went to enable it and this is what happened.

WINDOW FIREWALL CANNOT BE DISPLAYED BECAUSE THE ASSOCIATED SERVICE IN NOT RUNNING, DO YOU WANT TO START WINDOW FIREWALL/INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING (ICS) SERVICE?

CLICK YES

WINDOW CANNOT START THE WINDOW FIREWALL/INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING (ICS) SERVICE.

I have no idea what this means, all i know is my firewall will not enable.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully is something small and stupid.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:20 AM

this usually happens when running the microsoft antispyware tool - it removes nasties that hijack your lsp layer but it doesnt replace the bits and pieces that have been removed. what you need to do is -

1. Rebuild the Winsock LSP chain. To do this, follow these steps:a.  Log on to the Microsoft Windows XP workstation as an administrator. 
b.  Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
c.  At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
netsh Winsock reset
When the program is finished, you will receive the following message:
Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset.
If you receive this message, go to step 1d.

If you are not logged in as an administrator, you will receive the following error message:
Unable to reset the Winsock Catalog. Access is denied.
If you receive this message, log off the computer, and then log back on by using an account with Administrator access. Typically, the first user account that was created has Administrator access. Then, repeat steps 1b and 1c. 
d.  Restart your computer.

2. Test each of your third-party programs that are known to use LSPs. 
3. Reinstall any malfunctioning third-party programs that are known to use LSPs.

Edited by paperghost, 01 February 2005 - 11:21 AM.

#3 Angelo

Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:42 PM

Thank you,

all is working

#4 paperghost

paperghost