Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me remove java_bytever.b please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 emdee

emdee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:35 AM

Can someone help please!!

While browsing the internet Norton detected that my PC was infected with Trojan.ByteVerify. I donít know how Norton was able to do this as although Norton Antivirus 8.07.17C is installed on my PC it is the 2002 version and has never worked well so I had disabled it to run as my virus protection program. I just thought that Windows XP SP2 was secure enough as I am also behind a router. In any case I guess I was very wrong and Norton did find this trojan anyway.

I then ran the Trend Micro online system scan on my PC which found that I had java_bytever.b (it didnít find the trojan mentioned above). I have read a little about this and found some forums that have dealt with the virus. However they seem to have been specific solutions for that particular user. Although I havenít encountered any of the problems described in the forums that I have read I am concerned that this might be a serious problem.

At some point I also found Worm_agobot.uz but because I have run so many programs I canít remember at which point I found this worm or indeed whether a program may have already removed it.

I regularly update and run Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster as described at http://www.tweakxp.com/article139913.aspx and only last used it a couple of days ago. Since finding the virus I have also installed and run a couple of other programs including Spysubtract, Spycatcher, BugOff, CWShredder and A-Squared. I also have the latest version of HijackThis (v1.99).

I am also using a network in my house to which 5 computers are connected. Is this a danger for any of the other computers and will they have already been infected with the same virus?

Sorry for all the info which might not all be relevant but I thought the more I provided the better you might understand the exact problem.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:32 AM

I am also using a network in my house to which 5 computers are connected. Is this a danger for any of the other computers and will they have already been infected with the same virus?

Its a definite possibility. They all need to be scanned.

What is your anti-virus program right now? The XP firewall and a router are not enough. You need to have a firewall and anti-virus installed on each computer. If that Norton doesn't update anymore then it is pretty much useless.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 emdee

emdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

Yeah the norton antivuris is pretty much useless then as it no longer updates or even works properly (constant error messages something to do with res://C:\Program\NORTON~1\NAVUI.dll/navstats.htm)

So are there any good antivirus programs that i can download which will be good enough or do i have to buy one?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:01 AM

AntiVirģ and Free avast! 4 Home Edition are a couple of free ones that a lot of people use.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 emdee

emdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

Problem has been solved... I just deleted the zip file that trend micro said was infected. I now use avast! 4 home edition as antivirus software. Now in the process of securing other computers on the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users