Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friends Laptop Intel Wirelss 2200bg Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking into a problem with a friends laptop (Dell inspiron 6000). His complaint was that he could not connect to the net. On investigation I found that the wireless internal network adapter had not been turned on and hence tried first by using keybd combination FN + wireless key to turn on wireless connection but the LED did not illuminate..I then checked network connections only to find there was no wireless option at all..Under device manager i noticed that the wireless network card had an exclamation mark next to it and under properties, there was an error state that suggested the device failed to start with "code 10" after it...i tried uninstalling it and then using the add new hardware dialogue to find it and re-install it again.

Although xp (media center ed) found the card and intalled it, the same prob occured. I cannot get the card to work for love nor money...any ideas..oh yes...there is an additional error message on re-opening the properties dialogue for the card under device manager...it says "Device state not found in registry"...

any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated..

many thanks,

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Found this discussion on Dell,s forums
Mark
Dell Froums
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:01 AM

Have you tried reseating the wireless card inside the case (this has fixed a few at my shop)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

how complicated would it be to reseat the card in a laptop?...Its a friends computer so I have to be double careful....many thanks,

Darren

how complicated would it be to reseat the card in a laptop?...Its a friends computer so I have to be double careful....many thanks,

Darren

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

Sorry, but I've got no idea of where the card is located on an Inspiron 6000 - I'd suggest checking google for diagrams or opening up the access plates on the case to see if it's located there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:48 AM

I've had this problem before.. What it normally is is that the driver that you are installing will work yes, but it isn't the one that windows "needs" for it to start and operate successfully..My Dell Dimension 8300 is the same way.. I have a Netgear GA311 Gigabit network adapter and when i install the software that came with it, windows xp gives me this fuss about it installing but not starting..So i installed it through the Add Hardware Wizard..This card required that i install a driver back in 2003 for it to work properly. Do you think that you could tell me the Model of the card so that i can further "investigate and find the proper driver for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users