Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Volume Indicator Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

I'm using Windows XP Media Center version on a Dell 9300 laptop. This laptop has a panel fo buttons on the laptop's edge, near the touchpad, with buttons for volume, play, pause, fast forward, rewind and stop.

Until a couple of days ago, when I'd use the volume buttons, on the screen would appear a sound volume indicator bar (white box with blue indicator bar showing the level -- could easily see if it was at maximum volume or what %).

So yes this is gone now.

I'm not sure if that was part of Windows, or Dell software or the Sound card's software.

Any help at all with restoring this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

That's a part of the Dell software. You should be able to use the Dell support site to restore the application.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

OK, it turns out this is part of the Dell Quickset software, which also handles standby/hibernate modes, etc.

Anyway, just went into Start: Programs: Dell Quickset and re-opened the program. I'd shut it down -- I didn't realize it was handling the sound volume indicator, so I'd closed it from the System Tray, guessing that it only handled the hibernate/standby options and nothing else. Wrong.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users