Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Deggers

Deggers

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

Hi All, unfortunately i have a Toshiba Sat Pro laptop. When i switch on it hangs at "in touch with tomorrow Toshiba", nothing seems to work to get into safe mode. I have tried F8, F12 and so on even booting from CD but the system does'nt even try the CD option. Any suggestions would be welcme. (even throwing it away).
Many thanks Deggers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:08 AM

Definitely wierd behavior!

I'm not sure what the problem would be, but if you can get to the BIOS screen, is the boot order listing the CD first?

Apart from that, if you boot in to normal mode, bring up a run box and type in msconfig
select the boot tab, then check "Safe Boot", click apply and restart. Any luck there?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 Deggers

Deggers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

Yep, the bios is set to boot from cd. It won't boot up so i can't try the start run method.

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:47 AM

Wups sorry Deggers I misread your first post. This is out of my area of familiarity, but is booting via USB an option? I saw this website:
http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php

Bear in mind I havent tried it and cant make any warranties about it, but it looks like it could be a possible approach?

Acer Aspire 5732z

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

Do you use the F12 key to boot from the CD? Have you checked to see if it'll boot from another, bootable CD? FWIW, you can download this free memory test and make a bootable CD with it: http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Deggers

Deggers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Yep i have tried the F12 till i am blue in the face. Followed the link to start by using the USB's but wasn't able to download. (using another computer). Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Deggers :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

You'll have to test the functioning of your CD drive by attempting to boot from another bootable disk (or, try the bootable disk in another computer to see if it's working). If your CD drive is hosed, then it's time for a visit to a shop to have them take a look at it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Deggers

Deggers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

I have tried the boot up cd in another machine and all is ok. I feel somehow that the Toshiba is destined for the bin.
Deggers

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

Don't do that (yet) ! The optical drive may simply be on the fritz.

Replacing an optical drive is simple. Here is instructions for a typical model. See only Step 3.
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Tosh...dismantle_1.htm

Here's sources of replacement drives.
http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Toshiba...op,CD-ROMs.aspx
http://prioritylaptopbattery.stores.yahoo.net/tosaprodr.html
Chances are that these prices are inflated. You can probably get a better deal at Ebay. Make *sure* the drive is suitable for your particular laptop model.

#10 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

Following the points that usasma and pascor22234 made, I'm wondering if removing the CD option entirely from the boot menu will make a difference. Also, are there by chance any CD based options in the BIOS? I have no idea but it might be worth a shot. :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z

#11 Deggers

Deggers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

I'll give this a go then get back with an update. Thanks again
Deggers

#12 Deggers

Deggers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

Just to give you an update. I decided to send the Toshiba in for repair as i discovered that it was still under warranty (by 2 weeks). I have just received an e-mail to say that they have discovered a fault and are awaiting parts. :thumbsup:
Deggers

Edited by Deggers, 16 August 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#13 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

Woot - nice timing! If they give you any details about the fault feel free to post them here, I'd like to read about it.

Edited by jhsmurray, 16 August 2007 - 09:46 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#14 Deggers

Deggers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:44 AM

When i hear from Toshiba i'll let you know what they said.
Deggers

#15 Deggers

Deggers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:34 PM

Just had the Toshiba returned. 24th August (now fully working). On the repair sheet it states that the motherboard was replaced, the cd rom drive, the next item is unreadable but looks something like "replaced DMI". Does this mean anything to anybody??.
Thanks
Deggers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users