Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Suse 10.2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:22 AM

Hi all, I am a complete newbie to Linux and have decided to install it on a machine to play with it and see how I get on with it. However I am having probs installing.
The computer is as Follows.
Pentium 4 3.6ghz on MSI PM8M3 - V mainboard
160GB Sata 1
200GB Sata 2
512mb DDR400 slot1
256mb DDR400 slot2
DVRRW
The PC is currently running XP media edition on the 160GB drive but it can be erased if I get the option to format. The 200GB drive contains data that I dont want erased.
I have downloaded the DVD from 'opensuse' via bittorrent but the file was corrupt. I have now downloaded from the http method and it has extracted from the iso file ok so I burnt the iso to a dvd and have tried to install.
I get the Suse screen load up and then it turns to a black screen with the following 'errors' which I don't have a scooby what they mean so hopefully someone can help.

Ramdisk: Compressed image found at block 0
crc error
VFS: cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown block(8,5)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernal Panic - not syncing :VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,5)

Is the iso shagged again or is it something I'm doing wrong? The DVD drive is 2 weeks old!
Any help really appriciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:21 AM

I have just downloaded the 6 cd set instead of the dvd and it appears to be working. Dont know if this is a bad write or iso again but I assume it's one of the two.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

Can you boot to XP w/o issue?

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

Bad write most likely. always burn your ISO's at the slowest speed possible (Cds at 4X, DVDs at 2X) to help combat this issue. even experienced ISO burners like my self have issues every now and then with a bad write (stuff happens, dirt in the burner)

Posted Image

#5 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

Yep it was a bad write caused by a faulty DVDRW. Anyway, installed it and it looks pretty nice but what a pain in the backside to use. I plugged in my USB headphones and nothing! Thats where I left it. Whats the point? If I don't want my hardware and software to work then I may as well just install Vista!
Why is it so popular anyway? It takes years to install and just doesn't make the grade of a decent OS. And whats that office about on there? That sucks butt, big time.
Guess I'll stick with XP for now.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

Try PCLinuxOS 07 it is very good and ultra easy to use (best of all you dont have to install it it just runs from a CD when you boot your PC)

Posted Image

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

And whats that office about on there?

Why? It works just fine for me. It's a little premature to pass judgment on a product you can't possibly have taken the time to learn. It does everything I need it to do, and if it doesn't, I can alter the source code as I see fit. It doesn't cost anything, compared to the $300 or so that it takes for the same functionality in Microsoft Office

As far as installation, some distributions leave a lot to be desired. But then there are other distributions like Ubuntu with a 7 step installation that beats anything I have seen out of Windows, hands down. Other distros are just a pain in the ass. I just did installs of FreeBSD, slackware, and gentoo, and Gentoo was the hardest. BSD and Slackware were easier than I though they were going to be.

If all you want to do is email, play music and games, by all means, stick with Windows products. It took me probably a year or more of piddling around with Linux on and off before I found someone that could help me with some of the speedbumps. After that, it has been pretty smooth. I still have problems from time to time, but I can usually find the answer before too long. For something like your headphones, it usually takes just a few minutes to download the correct drivers once you figure out what you need. As far as your software not working, well, if it was designed to run in a windows environment, you can't possibly expect it to run on your Linux system, can you?

I have a love/hate relationship with Windows and Linux.I hate that every few years I have to fork out $100+ to Microsoft for a new OS, and then gripe because products do not have the capabilities that I think they should have, or the ability to alter them to fit my needs. With Linux, it can be annoyingly difficult to do routine things, but it's a trade-off. I don't have to pay for the software either.

It takes years to install and just doesn't make the grade of a decent OS.

I did an install of Ubuntu on an older Pentium system. From the time I opened the CD case until i was finalizing install was under 20 minutes. I sort of wonder how you judge what makes a decent OS? Do you have a degree in Computational Theory or engineering that qualifies you to make that sort of conclusion? I have no idea what makes a decent OD. A recent study published indicated that in High Performance Computing, linux runs 77.8% of the systems, Unix at 12%, and Windows at .4%.(Source) I'm guessing some pretty smart people must think it is a decent os.

Anyway, if Windows floats your boat, stick with it. :thumbsup:

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

I not exactly sure if you're insulting Linux, Novell (which you are more then welcome to do they signed their souls to M$), or Vista (which is also welcome in my book). Dont like Open Office, try Crossover Office, GnomeOffice, or KOffice. if there is a program you dont like uninstall it and try another thats what the repos are there for.

Posted Image

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

Crossover Office, GnomeOffice, or KOffice. if there is a program you dont like uninstall it and try another thats what the repos are there for.

And enjoy not paying for them when you do... :thumbsup:

Except for CrossOver Office?? Is that a standalone?

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:30 PM

It appears to be an enhanced form of WINE but I'm happy with OO.org (even in M$ land). Heres a link. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users