Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:33 AM

I recently bought a Dell computer with Vista installed. It was ok but after a few days when i played music, an occasional lag comes and my CPU Usage spikes up to like 98% for a few seconds.

Another problem i have is when i download files, such as a game, it downloads fast but then when it reaches the 99% and such it just hangs there and it takes forever to finish.

What's happening?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:02 AM

For the first part, try using task manager to determine what process is in question. Right-click on the toolbar for task manager. Select the Processes tab. Select "Show processes by all users". Order by CPU descending, buy clicking on CPU until the arrow points down. Let it stay open and try some things, like play music. Note which processes are listed at the top in the Processes list when the cpu usage spikes. From there you can determine what your next steps might be - feel free to post it here.

For the second part, when you download something Vista initially places it in a temporary directory. Then when the download is complete, windows moves that to the directory you specified - a window might popup to show you the progress of the transfer finally completing the download. That second step isnt always very fast, but this process is by design and not an error. Is that what you were referring to, or was it something else?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

I've observed my computer processes and the thing tthat spiked (thought i'm not entirely sure) is soemthing called media foundation protected pipeline EXE, is this something important? Also when i was listening to music my computer crashed to a blue screen with a bunch of things going on, i couldnt read it because it was too fast.

Thank you for the second part, it's the part that says "verifying file transfer" or w/e but i think you got it.
Posted Image

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:55 AM

From what I've read, that appears to be a legitimate process associated with Microsoft. That in mind, have you done all your critical updates, and is there anything in the windows logs that might help explain the problem?
Also, what application are you using to play music?

[edit] As far as the blue screen is concerned, you might want to check and see if there are any driver updates for your machine from the manufacturers website.

Edited by jhsmurray, 12 August 2007 - 06:59 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:08 AM

pipeline.exe is most likely either a program from Microsoft that you don't need (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms966489.aspx ) , or it's a piece of spyware on your system. Either way, I'd suggest that you get rid of it.

Check your Performance and Reliability Monitor to see what happened. Go to Start and type in "perfmon.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then click on the Reliability Monitor listed in the left hand pane, then check the right hand pane for Failures on the day that you got the Blue Screen.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

i redid the observation and found out the spike was from svchost but i'm not sure which one (i have like 4) it spikes from 1 CPU usage to about 24 then drops down again.

As for the updates, do i go to the hardware that i want to update and right-click properties?

Lastly, about the reliability moniter, it says there aren't any windows failures, only applications, could the blue thing be something else?

EDIT It seems my computer rolled back, because i was downloading a bit torrent file and it isn't on my computer anymore.

Edited by TelMeDragon, 12 August 2007 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image

#7 jjthenovice

jjthenovice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

For your copy problems try these two links http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194

For the svhost thing check out this link: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070621

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

So what do the application failures say?

The red circles with x's in them are failure messages.
The yellow triangles with !'s in them are warning messages
And the white circles with the blue ?'s are information messages

You can check what's using svchost.exe by using this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Issues with the svchost.exe processes are usually the result of (in this order):
1) viruses
2) Windows misbehaving
3) misbehaving programs

I'd suggest one of these free, online scans to rule out a virus infection - then we can work on Windows/other issues:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:25 PM

EDIT:

I scanned myself with AVG Free 7.5 and nothing, i used and online McAfee and nothing
jjthenovice seems to have found the problem, the article he gave me was pretty much what was happening, but a few more problems arise (for me)

"Step 1. Patch msi.dll. Users need to replace the msi.dll file (the Microsoft Installer DLL) that svchost.exe controls. To do this, download and install the patch from Knowledge Base article 927891.

Step 2. Update Windows Update. Users also need to get the latest Windows Update client, which is version 3.0. Links to the 32- and 64-bit versions can be found at the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Product Team blog."

it says replace the msi.dll but then i can't find one for Vista

As for the reliability moniter, it turns out i was looking at the wrong day xD, so forgive me. The failure is as follows:
Failure Type: OS Stopped Working
Version: 6.0.6000
Failure Detal: 0x00000101 (0x00000061, 0x00000000, 08x2472120, 0x00000001)
Date: 8/12/07

Edited by TelMeDragon, 13 August 2007 - 01:05 AM.

Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:39 AM

Here's a link to that error: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa469194.aspx

It appears to be an issue with one of the processors on the system - I'd suggest contacting Dell support to see what they can offer for a fix (maybe a new system?).

#11 jjthenovice

jjthenovice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Here's something else to try/check. Goto this link http://driveragent.com and do a scan to see if your drivers are up to date. This a free scan. You'll have to pay to download drivers. You can find them yourself however using google or the like.

#12 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:37 AM

The only driver i have outdated is Super G Wireless PCI Adapter, and when i go to device manager to update it, it says that it's at the best update.

In the mean time, i will try to contact dell about the svchost.exe and the processor issue

EDIT: How many svchosts.exe am I supposed to have?? I count 14 on the Task Manager

Just finished speaking with a Dell Tech.

2:36:45 AM Dell Person That's a normal thing.
2:37:27 AM Me So at time while using an app, it will spike
2:38:44 AM Me It will spike periodically while using that same app
2:39:15 AM Me Is it an OS problem, because it did not seem to happen when i used XP

2:40:05 AM Dell Person (my name), this is usually the issue with svchost.
2:40:35 AM Dell Person For that reason, we had disabled automatic updates and id manual updates.
2:40:50 AM Dell Person This resolves the issue.
2:41:25 AM Me Ok

The spikes still happen, but is what she/he said true?

Another question, Is 60ish% Physical Memory used normal?

Edited by TelMeDragon, 14 August 2007 - 02:53 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

Process Explorer will tell you which Services are running inside each instance of svchost.exe. That should help with what exactly is causing the spike.

There is no such thing as normal memory usage. The more stuff you got running the more memory will be used. Unless you hit 100% and start paging a lot it is nothing to worry about.

For the record I also have 14 instances of svchost running.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:00 AM

I've got 13 instances of it running on my Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

#15 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:30 AM

This is much to ask but can you tell me how much physical memory you have used?

I did a selective startup with load system devices only and i still start off with 60%
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users