Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Check Every Restart

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 soswoonworthy

soswoonworthy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

So, recently I removed Norton from my computer and instead downloaded the free 90 day trial of Windows Live One Care. The last three times or so that I've restarted, the check-disk has came up before login. First time around I let it run and thought that would be the end of it, but it has shown up every time I've rebooted since. In addition, Windows Live One itself won't start up - it tells me to restart the computer to remedy the problem, but that hasn't worked for me. I also tried removing and re-downloading Windows Live One Care, and that hasn't helped either.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by soswoonworthy, 11 August 2007 - 11:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

How did you uninstall Norton?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 soswoonworthy

soswoonworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

I used the add/remove program menu in the Control Panel and removed Norton and all of its updates and other bits and pieces like liveupdate, etc.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:46 AM

Norton is notoriously difficult to get rid of. Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any left over bits.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 soswoonworthy

soswoonworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

All right, ran the Norton removal tool. What next? Uninstall and reinstall the Windows Live One Care or...?
The disk check still came up on restart as well.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

Go Start > Run and type "chkdsk /r". You will get some kind of question asking if you want to run chkdsk the next time the system starts. Press "Y" for yes and then reboot. chkdsk should run. After that try re-installing Windows Live One Care.

Edited by Budapest, 12 August 2007 - 12:19 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 soswoonworthy

soswoonworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

Thank you guys so much for your help. Everything appears to be running normally after I re-installed Live One. It's greatly, greatly appreciated.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

You're welcome soswoonworthy, I'm glad to hear it worked out.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users