Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or not ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andre_bergh

andre_bergh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:49 AM

Hi there...

My Internet proxy hangs every 5 minutes. Its a linux pc, 24hours DSL.
I have 40 computers on my network, about 30 Win98SE and the rest WinXP PC's.

Most have NAV2004 installed, and is updated. Could it be a virus that makes the Proxy server hang, or not.

If it is a virus or something on one of the pc's, how can i find out what pc it is thats doing this to the internet proxy? This is very frustrating!

I think this virus or something is causing the LAN card on the internet proxy to hang?
Mabe a denial of service virus ?

I just Dont know..

Please help
Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:44 PM

I doubt its a deliberate DOS, but it is possible that you have some infected machines that are just bombarding the proxy lan adapter with packets causing it to becomes slow and possibly freeze.

Do you have a hubbed network or a switched network? If its a hubbed network you can install packetsniffer like ethereal on the network and see whats going on.

Even better you can run ethereal on the linux box to see if there are a lot of packets destined for places your users should not be going

#3 andre_bergh

andre_bergh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:55 AM

Thanx Grinler, appriciate you trying to help.

I have a switched network, two 16port switches.
If i can just find the pc, or pc's thats fu!#?ng me around, i can take them out, and deal with them!
My knowledge of linux is not good, our internet provider installed the linux box and takes care of running it.

I also have a Win Server 2000 file server running, and a VPN Linux box that goes with the Linux internet proxy box.

If i could check every one of the pc's on the network, by sitting in front of them, how would i know witch one or more pc's is the culpret?
My time is also limited, so if i dont have to, i would like to skip sitting in front of all the pc's.

When most of the staff at my company goes home after work, the internet and proxy is just fine and dandy!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:19 AM

Well a quick an dirty way that we diagnose this for our customers is we tell them to check their switch and find those ports that are flickering like mad. Then unplug those ports and see if the problem goes away. You can then determine which computer is causin the problems.

It doesnt always work out this way, but its worth a first try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users