Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Disk & Drivers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 StEvE21

StEvE21

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

I was at future shop with my friend the other day (he was looking for a laptop) and we started talking about recovery disks...the salesperson said he should pay to have the technician create a recovery disk, and that if you burn your own recovery disk, this won't back up the drivers on the computer. That sounds odd to me... is it true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:40 PM

Pure, unadulterated claptrap. Here is a quick rundown of brands here in the US:

HP/Compaq Recovery disk Utility includes everything.
EMachine/Gateway Comes with OS CD, You must make Driver and Application DVD.
Sony Makes Everything.
Acer Makes Everything
Toshiba Comes with Recovery Discs.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:52 PM

I just bought a toshiba. I dont remember seeing a recovery disk in the box ??

btw I am in Canada, not the States.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

Every toshiba I have ever seen comes with this disc. It is in a jewel case, and is shrink wrapped with books, all in a very neat little package. Also, you can check the packing list. If you don't have it, call Toshiba.

Edited by oldf@rt, 11 August 2007 - 11:59 PM.

#5 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

when i was there yesterday, they said that laptops dont come with recovery disks anymore (i suppose its just another way to make money). But either way, if I wanted to buy my own dvd and burn a recovery disk, would this back up all of the drivers as well?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:43 AM

Most laptops do not, however any laptop that does not include recovery dvds has a utility to burn them. It normally takes 1 to 4 DVDs for single layer discs, and one or two dual layer discs. Everything is placed on the discs. Windows, All Drivers, all applications that came with the new laptop. They are setup so that you can boot from the disc and reload everything that was preloaded at the factory.

Edited by oldf@rt, 12 August 2007 - 12:44 AM.

#7 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

OK, that is what I thought. This futureshop salesperson told us otherwise, and it didn't sound right to me.
Thank you for your help.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:55 AM

Just remember, that a salesperson is like a liar barrister.

#9 blackberryx

blackberryx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

Is there anywhere where I can download these drivers and burn them to a cd to reload them myself? I have tried the Toshiba website but I had no luck.

#10 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

There are some torrent sites that have the x86 and 64 recovery disks for ppl that never had a recovery CD or repair options for their vista. Try to find it :huh: I use it and it's perfect!

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

#11 Waffles

Waffles

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

For some brands you have to make a set of discs yourself and for those brands the store uses exactly the same method you would if you were to take it home and do it. Whether or not you should have the store make these discs for you is up to you, but its not hard at all and just takes a little time. Most computers bug you about doing it pretty quick after you power on after the first time. As for this particular instance the store is trying to bully you into buying an addon.

Point of interest: Retail stores have a negative profit margin on most laptop and desktop sales. To counteract this they have to push you into buying extras. Some are good, like a laptop bag or a pack of DVDs. Some are only useful if you are a complete computer novice with no desire to learn, like making discs. The thing is most stores like BestBuy and their ilk have the services section because its almost 100% profit for a service and counteracts the money they loose on the computer sale. I would tell them you are going to have the closet competitor do it because a salesman lied to you, then save the money and do it yourself.

#12 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much were they trying to beat out of you for the discs?

#13 aisha2008

aisha2008

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

What about things like music and photos? Those aren't counted in the backup discs made are they? I take it it's advisable to back those up somehow just in case though...

#14 xacked

xacked

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

If you ever need to back up any drivers on your computer, I recommend Double Driver, I've been using it for years. Just install the program, run it, save the output file to a USB stick or CD, and on your (hypothetically) reformatted system, install it again, and load the drivers from wherever you saved it, and you'll be good to go.

Here's the link: http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Suspicious url name noted, here's the Lifehacker overview of it if your concerned: http://lifehacker.com/399097/double-driver...systems-drivers

Edited by xacked, 20 July 2009 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users