Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Thought

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

So, having one lonely session of thought, this one crossed my mind, regarding the "Dig to China" theory.

Imagine we could develop a suit that could withstand the temperature and pressure of Earth's core, and create a device to dig through that would not melt or crush.

Then, imagine that you make the final hole to China. Would you flip over to be standing upright upon reaching China, or just fall back into the hole you just created?

CRAPPY DRAWING (Imagine the Y as yourself, with the stem of the Y being your legs. The ^ is a tree pointed skyward in the US. The V is a tree pointed skyward in China. Both are upright).

^ UNITED STATES
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
C O R E
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
---------- Y ---------
CHINA V

Edited by Glunn11, 11 August 2007 - 10:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

If you went in feet first you would be on your head but earths gravity would not let you just fall down the hole I would not think .at least not the whole way

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

You probably wouldn't get past the core because the gravity would be to strong to get out.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:17 AM

You probably wouldn't get past the core because the gravity would be to strong to get out.

-Steve

And if you did get out, there would be a whooole lot of people really ticked at you because of the molten material gushing miles into the atmosphere. :thumbsup:

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

If one could actually be in the exact center of the earth then the "gravity" of the situation would be pulling in every direction at the same time.

Since it wouldn't be enough to pull you apart, it would be similar to weightlessness and you'd float around somewhat.

As you moved further from the center, more mass would be away from you toward the center, and you'd gradually feel gravity pulling you "down" toward the greater mass.

If you live anywhere in the United States, and you dug straight down and continued back up the opposite side, the Chinese people wouldn't care at all since you wouldn't come up anywhere near them, by the way. I don't have a globe in front of me right now, but you would come up somewhere south of the equator on the opposite side of the earth, and China is in the Northern Hemisphere as is the US.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

assuming all the things are just worked out and you're digging under your feet, you'll have to flip over when you come out.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

If you live anywhere in the United States, and you dug straight down and continued back up the opposite side, the Chinese people wouldn't care at all since you wouldn't come up anywhere near them, by the way. I don't have a globe in front of me right now, but you would come up somewhere south of the equator on the opposite side of the earth, and China is in the Northern Hemisphere as is the US.

Just did my research - you'd actually end up in the Indian Ocean, unless you live in Hawaii, in which case you'd end up in Botswana.

#8 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

Just did my research - you'd actually end up in the Indian Ocean, unless you live in Hawaii, in which case you'd end up in Botswana.

Indian Ocean - giant volcano and tidal waves. I'm sure the people in the area would be quite impressed. :thumbsup:

Edited by MattV, 12 August 2007 - 12:27 PM.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

Well,

at least you wouldn't have to dig up through the Indian Ocean,

you'd be able to float up, assuming you can hold your breath that long!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users