Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acgenral.dll Problem?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 belzerw

belzerw

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Greetings
I have a computer that had Trojans, Worms, etc. I tried all sorts of Spyware and AV programs to determine IF the computer was clean. Each Pgm seemed to find different problems, but cleaned them (I hope).

Now, I have a problem with AcGenral.DLL messages - not correct image etc.
This occurs on booting to Win XP SP2 Pro. But it boots. It shows up when I try to access "Add/Delete Programs" in Control Panel - denying access to the tool.
Recently, I have seen CABINET.DLL messages too (incorrect image).

I have checked both DLLs and they are correct.
I have scanned the Net and cannot find help, so I resort to you - an expert.

Can you help? Shall I dump a HiJackThis File?
Thanks
Wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

Run Microsoft's System File Checker (SFC) from the Run box in the Start menu. You will need your Windows CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 belzerw

belzerw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

Hi there - Thanks for the comments.
I already tried the SFC /SCANNOW command, and at that time, could not find the Installation disk. I skipped over where it paused - I hope that did not impair subsequent scans!

I ran again SFC /SCANNOW, and SFC /SCANBOOT to see if I missed anything (Seems you can't do that in SAFE mode?). Nothing found/ commented on.

I wondered about the SFC /PURGECACHE option, but I am not sure about it's effects. Comments?

Any other ideas?

I still get (3 times) at boot : "RUN DLL32.EXE - Bad image; C:\Windows\apppatch\AcGenral.DLL - Not a valid windows image"

Wayne

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Did you find your Windows XP CD, or did you run the scan without the CD again?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 belzerw

belzerw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Yes, I found the CD and ran it with the SFC, and did not notice any activity.
Rebooting still gives the DLL message.

Almost ready to re-install windows, but not really.
W

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:05 AM

This link indicates that the ACGENERAL dll's aren't Windows System Files (so SFC probably doesn't check them): http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/acgenral/

The extent of the damage to the OS is unknown - so replacing dll's one-by-one is bound to frustrate you (and may take a long, long time to finish). The other alternative is a Repair Install of Windows which will leave your files and programs intact: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 belzerw

belzerw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

John
I looked, but that was not an option. The system came with an OEM disk, and as it says in the reference - won't give Repair option! So that method of repai is snookered.
Anything else to try B4 Format C: /S and Win Install?
Wayne

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:29 AM

From what you've posted, I suspect that you have an XP OEM disk (since you were able to do SFC.EXE) and not an OEM Restore disk - and you can do a repair with that. This depends on the type of OEM disk - some only offer a full reformat and clean install of Windows - others offer non-destructive recovery options.

What make and model computer do you have?
What does the writing on the OEM disk say?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 belzerw

belzerw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

John
The computer is a Systemax Athlon 64 3400+
The lables on the 2 disks is probably irrelevant as ther is no Repair option - trust me, I am not a newbie.
They are System Diagnostics and Operating System. Options are Add Drivees and re-install Windows.
Wayne

#10 belzerw

belzerw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

Please cancel topic.
Resolved as a conflict with Kaspersky AV.
Removed Kaspersky & restarting...
Thanks
W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users