Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help W/mqsvc.exe? Why Is It "listening"? Turn It Off?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hi again -- here's some more weirdness from the new replacement laptop that's got me concerned that I'm trying to solve... :flowers:

While my current laptop with XP Home SP2 does not even have mqsvc.exe on it (I searched), my new/replacement laptop (that I've been posting about) with XP Pro SP2 does have it. It is a running process (showing up in Task Manager).

Under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, these are listed:

Message Queuing (mqsvc.exe)
Startup Type: Automatic

Message Queuing Triggers (mqtgsvc.exe)
Startup Type: Automatic

Some more clues/info:

In ZoneAlarm Free 6.5.737 Program Control, Message Queuing Service is listed (but it is marked with all ?'s -- so it's not being allowed, though it's not asking for permission either).

In ZoneAlarm Program Log, each time I start my computer, 5 different listings for Message Queuing Service (mqsvc.exe) show up. The 5 different entry IPs listed are:

0.0.0.0:2105
0.0.0.0:2103
0.0.0.0:2107
0.0.0.0:1026
0.0.0.0:1801

All entries are listed as "Direction: Incoming (listen)"

All entries are Blocked by ZA (which is probably good!).

Please note the following:
  • I am not on a Server.
  • It's just a laptop connected to dial-up for internet.
  • Message Queuing Service showed up in ZA Program Control as soon as I installed ZA.
  • I have both ZA Free 6.5.737 and AVG A/V Free installed at this point.
  • I have not gone to any websites other than Windows Update (and some MS links on there to popups with further info for downloads) -- and I have done all the Critical Updates.
Questions:

1. What is this? Why is it not on my XP Home machine but is on XP Pro?

2. Is something nefarious going on? What is it doing (or trying to do)?

3. Do I need this to run? Or can I just disable the services in Administrative Tools > Services?

3a. If so, how do I do that exactly? I see there's a link/option to the left to either stop or restart the service. Does stopping it turn it off permanently? Or do you need to do something else?

3b. I'm guessing the two Services listed above are related. So if I disable Windows Messaging Service, would I also disable the Trigger one?

3c. If it needs to run, why is that?

I've been asking around, but no luck... And searching didn't turn up anything useful...

Any help is appreciated -- thanks, as always! :thumbsup:

(And I swear I'm trying to relax more! :trumpet: I just wish I wasn't on a bit of a deadline (due to a variety of not-so-good personal reasons) to get this all taken care of.)

Edited by bloomcounty, 11 August 2007 - 04:35 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

The answers to the majority of your questions here: www.BlackViper.com: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Services 411 - Message Queuing Triggers

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

The answers to the majority of your questions here: www.BlackViper.com: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Services 411 - Message Queuing Triggers

Thanks, Animal! I read it -- but I have no idea what it means. So is it saying I can turn it off?

Also, it only talks about the second of the two things I listed above. I included that one only because it sounded related to the first (is it?).

It is the first one ("Message Queuing") that is popping up every time I turn my computer on in ZA Program Log with those IP address and shown as Incoming and "listening". What's that about? Can that be turned off too?

And here's the info from the Services panel about each:

Message Queuing

Provides a communications infrastructure for distributed, asynchronous messaging applications.

Message Queuing Triggers
Associates the arrival of incoming messages at a queue with functionality in a COM component or a stand-alone executable program.
(well, that one is listed in Animal's link... :flowers: )

Thoughts? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 11 August 2007 - 05:46 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Okay, I looked there at the master list of Services. I can't tell if it's okay to turn those two things off, since for some reason, the list says "Not Installed" for both things (whereas it says "Automatic" or "Manual" or "Disabled" for most other Services listed).

So I tried to solve it myself, but I'm back to asking you all here... :thumbsup: :flowers:

What's up with that stuff?

-----------------------------------

Also, a semi-related question: Are there any other Services that, for sure, it is safer (i.e. more secure) to turn off, as I wouldn't need them?

Thanks, of course!

Edited by bloomcounty, 11 August 2007 - 05:49 PM.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

Update: Some of this was in that blackviper link -- but it looks like I can turn it off, according to a Microsoft person:

Message Queueing cannot be installed in XP Home edition, and is native to XP Pro with Service Pack 2.

It is a service to facilitate XML-based communications, QoS, and SOAP applications in heterogenous networks; of particular help to those with slow or non-24/7 linkages.

It is not in any way, shape or form a part of the XP native firewall service.

You can use Services.msc to stop both the Message Queueing Service, and the Trigger Service, and set them both to a startup type of Disabled in your environment.

Not being a Server, and being on dial-up, has nothing of importance related to whether the Services are appropriate. They are not appropriate in your case because you are not using SOAP, QoS or XML-based messaging threads.

The Trigger service is a separate service, but has a startup dependency placed on the Queuing service.

Thanks again for the help with this! And for the link to that great blackviper site! I'll be using it to learn more about the various services! :thumbsup:

(Edit: I was incorrect that I said ZA blocked those things -- it didn't. There is no listing for what ZA did. I guess because those ports are listed as "listening" but nothing is happening. If something did happen, I guess then it would block it. I'm assuming those entries will not return once the services are disabled.)

Edited by bloomcounty, 12 August 2007 - 05:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users