Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Log On

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 krissyroddy

krissyroddy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

ok this is the problem file:

Windows\System32\userinit.exe

apparently this is an important file to start up my computer. i guess i misunderstood what i was reading during the startup tutorial. i used autorun on my computer and clicked this off as an unnecessary startup file. now my computer won't log on. anyone know how to fix this problem??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

You will find this link useful:
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts....D=7672&PN=1

Chances are that you do not have an XP install disc, thus building an auto-boot CD using Bart's PE Builder is out of the question.

Not to worry. What you need is the ability to copy and rename files in the C: partition which is more than likely in NTFS format. If you have a floppy drive installed you can create a boot floppy using Avira NTFS4DOS Personal. This Windows app creates a bootable floppy based on a free DOS OS. You will have to work in command-line mode - there is no GUI. There is a driver on the floppy that allows full read/write access to NTFS partitions. Using this you can navigate to the specified directories and make the changes necessary to be able to log on to XP again by restoring userinit.exe into the Registry.
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html The NTFS4DOS download is at the bottom of the page.

The boot floppy has no text editor supplied, but you can either add EDIT.COM from a Windows 98 startup floppy or use the working XP computer you used to create the boot floppy to create the files specified in the instructions and then copy them to the diskette so they will be available when you boot with it.

If your PC does not have a floppy drive then you can use any computer that does have a floppy drive to create a bootable CD from a bootable floppy. I beleive Nero also has this capability.
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#cdromsi See section "Bootable Dos CD-Rom (single boot image) [updated! nov 4, 2002]"
The process of doing this is somewhat involved; just follow the directions.

-----------------------

The alternative to this process is to simply restore you PC using 1) reinstall discs that came with your PC; 2) making restore discs using you BIOS and then use them to restore the OS; 3) Using the BIOS to restore the OS using a hidden hard drive partition. Your PC will have one (only one) of these methods available.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:31 PM

Oops ! The Windows 98 boot diskette files do not include an editor. You can download and use this one instead:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/EdIt...load-24896.html

Open up the zip file and copy the all the files to your FreeDOS boot diskette. When booted simply type "a:\ed file_name" to start the editor (without the quotes and substitute the intended file name).

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 krissyroddy

krissyroddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:49 PM

i have NO IDEA how to get into safe mode. that goes to show how new i am at this. can i download the file onto a cd?? or does it have to be a floppy...

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

i have NO IDEA how to get into safe mode. that goes to show how new i am at this.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

can i download the file onto a cd?? or does it have to be a floppy...

If your PC does not have a floppy drive then you can use any computer that does have a floppy drive to create a bootable CD from a bootable floppy.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 krissyroddy

krissyroddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

The alternative to this process is to simply restore you PC using 1) reinstall discs that came with your PC; 2) making restore discs using you BIOS and then use them to restore the OS; 3) Using the BIOS to restore the OS using a hidden hard drive partition. Your PC will have one (only one) of these methods available.

how can you find out which method your computer has???? this seems much easier.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:27 AM

If you can give us the make and model number of your computer we can look it up for you.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 krissyroddy

krissyroddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

Gateway GT5056

i truly appreciate your guys help!

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Apparently, all you need to do is press F11 as the computer boots. Then you just follow the on-screen instructions.

WARNING: This will delete EVERYTHING on your hard drive and return it to its "from the factory" condition. You will lose all your personal data.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users