Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Continuously, Unsuccessfully Tries To Boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dreamwalk

dreamwalk

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Where to start? Friend's computer VERY slow, especially the internet connection which is so slow as to be non-existent, even accounting for her dial-up connection. She has a Dell Dimension 2100 running WinXP with a Celeron processor. (Yes, that is part of the speed problem)

Brought it over here to install and update Ad-aware and Spybot using my cable connection. Yikes, she has no ethernet card! Installed and ran Ad-aware without updates. Over 600 critical entries. Many involving the registry. Removed them all. However, can't run Spybot without an initial update.

Put an ethernet card in the computer. Now it won't boot. Removed card. Still no boot. Testing showed bad power supply. Found she needed one with a rare p2 cable. Replaced power suppy. Computer runs again. Yeah! Maybe I have a new skill. :thumbsup:

However, entire system is still VERY slow. Still suspecting malware, a thought reinforced when something keeps trying to dial out to assorted websites listed below:
vpt-studio.com
vaxvideo.net
a61c856f.org
04ccc408.org
a9da6.org
5b7d7304.org
780d738b.org

After a few minutes of this I get a popup that Norton has expired! YIKES! :trumpet:

Try the ethernet card again in order to run Spybot and grab AVG. "Found new hardware" message pops up. Clicked to run network connection wizard. Nothing happens. Checked device manager. No problems there. Plugged in ethernet cable. Voila! Connection enabled! Yeah!! :inlove:

All of this takes FOREVER as the computer is still trying to dial out anytime it is turned on to the same sites listed above.

Double click on IE to get AVG. Page seems to be taking abnormally long to load. Also getting messages that Norton is scanning first this file then that for viruses. Give up and close window again, thinking I'll update and run Spybot first since it is installed. Then maybe there would be fewer things impeding progress as it were.

After waiting a minute or so for Spybot to open, the computer just started a reboot. Only it didn't finish the process. I get the Dell splash screen, then the Windows XP splash screen (with the little "busy" bar at the bottom) for a about a minute, then it tries another reboot. (that is, back to the dell splash screen). This reboot attempt is continuous. After seeing this a few times, I turn off the puter. Wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Still stuck in the reboot process. Go to bed. Next morning, same thing, stuck in reboot mode.

I take out the ethernet card again. Still stuck trying to boot. Again, and again, and again...

What should I do now? :flowers:

Paula
No trees were killed in the creation of this message, but a number of electrons were diverted from their chosen path

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

If I were you I would go down the HijackThis route.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:01 AM

Try to get the computer started in safe mode, start tapping the F8 key when you see the dell splash screen, then when you see the windows bootup menu, use the arrow keys to select safe mode or safe mode w/networking. if neither of these works, try the last known good configuration.

EDIT Let us know the results.

Edited by oldf@rt, 12 August 2007 - 02:01 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 dreamwalk

dreamwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

Budapest:
I'd like to go through the Prep Guide to HJT. I've found that it often solves any problems before I have to post here. (Great job Grinler! :thumbsup: ) However, in this case, I can't even get past the Windows Splash screen to the log on screen. :flowers:

oldf@rt
After posting yesterday, I realized that I hadn't tried safe mode (duh!) So I tried that. But Windows still wouldn't load. Not with Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Last Known Good Configuration. There's no joy in Mudville. I still can't get past the Splash Screen. :trumpet:

I also tried to unplug the HD and plug it back in again to make sure all the connections were tight.

Is there anything else I can do to logon?

Paula
No trees were killed in the creation of this message, but a number of electrons were diverted from their chosen path

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

Sorry dreamwalk, I should have read your initial post a little more closely. You might want to try a repair install of the operating system to see if that will get the computer to boot into Windows again.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 dreamwalk

dreamwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

After much internet research and your gracious suggestions, I finally convinced my friend to find the CD's that came with her computer. A Win XP repair disk was one that she found and I used it to re format the hard drive and reinstall Win XP.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Paula

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

Glad to hear the problem has been resolved. And thank you for letting us know. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users