Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware From Abroad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

I am currently spending some time in North America and have realised just how amazingly cheap PC hardware out here is in comparison to back home in the UK (we get ripped off for everything). I was just wondering if I happened to buy some parts out here and brought them back home with me, would they be the same and work just as well within the PC? Are there any parts to avoid buying from abroad (PSU will probably cause some issues I'm guessing)?

I was also considering picking up a PS3 out here too (half the price in UK) but does anyone know the implications of this? I think I read somewhere that the games are region free which is good but I'm not so sure about the Blu-ray discs. Info on this would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

Basically all the parts will work the same (can't say for Blu-ray though), and there should be a switch to change the PSU voltage on the back (Tagan ones do it automatically).

The problem you may have will be dependent upon the total value of the parts. If the UK is anything like Australia, you may need to pay import tax when you go back home, which may bring the price up to what you might normally pay.

:thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

CD and DVD drives may be an issue. The region settings on those things keeps you from buying cheaper exported/imported DVDs and such and can cause a pain in the neck if the drive is region X and the disk is region Y .

Posted Image

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

new optical drives come region null, and you set when you first use them

changing regions on a ps3 is another matter

ps3 is going over like a lead ballon
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users