Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing 'security Center' Icon

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greenjeans63

greenjeans63

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

:thumbsup:
I'm trying to get to the Security Center in the control panel so I can turn of the XP firewall long enough to install an antivirus program. The icon isn't there, in XP view nor in Classic View. What's up with that?

Edited by greenjeans63, 10 August 2007 - 11:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:16 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore the Security Center Service - #338 on the right.

As this is a registry edit you should backup the registry first.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

When I click on the Kelly's Korner link all I see is the listing for a Virtual Basic script file.

To actually run this script select all the text, create a new plan text file named, say, "restore security center service.vbs" (without the quotes) and paste the text into it. Save the file. In Explorer right-click the file name and select the option Open. The script will run and, hopefully, Security Center will come back for you.

#4 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:24 AM

:thumbsup: Well, now my taskbar has disappeared!! I can't pull up the start button to even shut my machine down! Arrggh!! :flowers: What do I do now? I can't even get to system restore this way!!!

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:24 AM

When I click on the Kelly's Korner link all I see is the listing for a Virtual Basic script file.

That's strange, when I right click on it and select "Save link as..." I can save a file called securitycenterrestore.reg, which you just need to save to your desktop and then double-click to merge into the registry.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

:thumbsup: Well, now my taskbar has disappeared!! I can't pull up the start button to even shut my machine down! Arrggh!! :flowers: What do I do now? I can't even get to system restore this way!!!

Try Kelly's Korner again. This time #99 on the left. These types of problems that you are experiencing are classic symptoms of a malware infection.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:04 PM

Hi greenjeans63,

Just in case you are dealing with with Malware, please download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista)

* Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
* During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
* Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program and select Check for Updates.
* If prompted, click Download to receive the latest updates.
* When completed, close the update window.
* Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

Ok, downloaded the RougeRemover and ran it.......nothing. :thumbsup: Good news.
Now, the Kelly's "99" restoretaskbar fix didn't work. :flowers: Here's the thing: I can see my entire desktop area, except for the taskbar, of which I can only see a sliver. I've tried to pull it up from 'below the screen' and I've tried changing the resolution, as well as working with the settings on the monitor. I could not access system restore because I kept getting a message that there was a framedyn.dll file missing, so I replaced THAT. Then I get the message System Restore cannot protect my computer. Please reboot and run system restore again. I've done that about 6 times now. Same message again and again.
I'm gonna remove the securitycenterrestore.reg that I installed yesterday from "Kelly's". Can you point me to the registry key\value that I need to delete to rid the registry of that entry? Maybe I can start over. My taskbar disappeared right after I used that security center fix so I think I'll try removing it and see what happens. Maybe the taskbar will come back.
Question: If I understand correctly, not all WinXP comes with the security center installed. I was told that it was a "tweak" and that you could install in on your own----information I recived a day late. I wasn't aware of that. What say you? By the way, if one doesn't HAVE the security center, then how do you access the firewall? That's what this was all about anyway. I needed to turn off the firewall to install an antivirus program and was told to go thru the Control Panel\Security Center, and when it wasn't there, I freaked because I've already (hopefully fully) removed two trojans from this machine in the past week. (See my other post). I'm wondering if something's still lurking there. My aunt bought the computer used and apparently the owners have NEVER had an antiviurs program installed on it (since 2004).
Please understand that I've only had this machine a week or two and I don't know a whole heck of a lot about WinXP, so you're working with a complete moron here. Thanks so much for your input and suggestions. It is much appreciated. My hat is off to you guys and gals who know your stuff here. I will be anxiously waiting to hear from you. I think I'm gonna have to retitle my post from "missing Security" icon to "missing taskbar".

Edited by greenjeans63, 12 August 2007 - 02:16 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

Right click on the .reg file and select "Edit" - you'll be able to see the path to the keys in the registry there. BACKUP your registry before trying this - one misstep and your system may not work!!!

Does the computer have Service Pack 2 installed? If not, then install it ASAP - that'll get you the Security Center.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

:thumbsup: Me again......nothin's working, guys. I've tried each and every post here (and then some) and nothing is bringing that taskbar back. Now I can't even access my help files, and I'm at the point where I'm ready to take a flame thrower to it but I'm thinking that would be too good for it. For now, I'm satisfied just to have the marquee scrolling screensaver say "puters are stupid". Makes ME feel better, anyway.
If you have any more ideas, I'm up for suggestions. Short of a complete, clean reinstall (which I don't have the CD for), I guess I'm just stuck. Just know that if it involves the dos prompt or the registry, I will need specific instructions. Again, thanks for your help thus far and hope something works soon.

#11 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

Just thought I would make one last post and inform you that I managed to pull off an upgrade (I was able to locate the windows cd for it) and I didn't loose the applications/files/programs that I had uploaded/added, nor did I have to do a complete reinstall of Windows. I am happy to say my taskbar has made a reappearance and my help files never looked so good. :thumbsup: Yay! (Oh and by the way, John....back when you posted and asked me if I had SP 2 installed? I wasn't sure, so I had to check it out and yes, it was installed) .Whatever the cause for it's disappearance, none of the suggestions here worked, and I tried them all. I thank you for your input and I do appreciate that you did what you could to help.

Edited by greenjeans63, 17 August 2007 - 12:09 AM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:23 AM

Hi greenjeans63,

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users