Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Build, Xp Won't Boot From Disk, "boot Disk Failure"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Abrahmm

Abrahmm

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hey everyone,
Well I just finished building a new PC today, the specs are as follows.

Gigabyte P-35 DS3R motherboard
Intel Q6600
8800gts 320mb
WD 320gb internal hdd sata 3gb/s
2gb ram

my problem is when I attempt to start the computer and install Windows XP, I insert the disk, change the boot order to boot from the cd/dvd, and when it attempts to boot, I receive the message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". I'm baffled on what to do, no matter which disk drive I put it in, what order the bios boot menu is, I get the same error. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thank you!

Edited by Abrahmm, 11 August 2007 - 12:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:50 AM

If you are using an IDE optical drive be sure that the cable is not reversed. Do you have the two drives set as master and slave? Is the BIOS set to auto detect for the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bruce M. Weinstein

Bruce M. Weinstein

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Something so simple that most of us forget >>>>

Examine the media and, if there are scratches/smudges on it, take a soft wipe and clean in a straight line from the center to the edge of the disc - not vice-versa.

:thumbsup:
If you have not learned from your mistakes, you are doomed to repeat them!

#4 Abrahmm

Abrahmm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

If you are using an IDE optical drive be sure that the cable is not reversed. Do you have the two drives set as master and slave? Is the BIOS set to auto detect for the hdd?

Yes to all 3. I pulled these drives directly out of my old computer(where they worked just fine) and installed them into the new computer in the same setup. Didn't mess with the jumpers at all and plugged them in in the same order. The Bios also autodetected the hard drive, and the bios detected all of the drives correctly.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

The system appears still to be trying to boot off of the hard drive. Double-check that the optical drive is listed before the hard drive in the BIOS devices boot order. Um, remember to "Save settings" when exiting the BIOS setup if you make any changes in the BIOS. Retry installation if you made changes.

Search thru the BIOS and make sure that if there is an option to "enable IDE" or set it to "auto-detect IDE" or something else to this effect. If so, enable that, save settings and retry installation.

If this isn't the situation then either the optical drive or the disc in the optical drive isn't being detected. It will help to determine what's going on by observing what the BIOS lists out on the screen during boot. If the BIOS has an option to turn off the "splash screen" or "logo screen" then do so. You will then be able to see all the messages that the BIOS flashes by during boot. See if there is a message such as "detecting IDE CD drives" or optical drives. These messages typically flash by so quickly that you may have to reboot several times just to be able to read them! See if the BIOS confirms that it found any optical drives. If the BIOS confirms that it does find the optical drives then the problem is with the IDE cable, the drive electronics or the installation disc. No messages listed means either that the BIOS didn't bother to report any optical drives it found or there is a hardware problem.

To further help debug, simplify the setup and retest whwnever you make a change. Disconnect the slave optical drive. Retry installation.

The IDE cable may have become damaged when it was transfered. Substitute another one. Retry installation.

Set the other optical drive to be the Master. Connect just this drive. Single drives must always be connected to the end of its cable. You will have to pull this drive out of its bay to reset its jumper. It's OK if it just hangs off of its cables - it won't mind and should operate properly. Just be sure that the drive doesn't touch the motherboard or any add-in cards. Retry installation.

If you've tried both optical drives by themselves with no success then it appears that the IDE controller on the motherboard isn't working. "Infant mortality" in motherboards is a common occurance these days. No manufacturer and model of motherboard is exempt, unfortunately. RMA the mobo and try again. If you like the features on this mobo then don't switch to a different model, at least before trying a replacement. Gigabyte generally produces good products and the likelyhood of getting a second "dud" board is unlikely.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

There is a problem with taking a hdd from one computer and installing it in another, basically it can screw up the OS badly enough that it will not work. In situation like this I will wipe the hdd with a utility like Killdisk and then reinstall the OS.

There is a good article that will further explain this problem, you can read it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=224881

you are going to have a few problems with that motherboard

jmicron(gigabyte) chipset drivers

Edited by DaChew, 11 August 2007 - 11:22 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Abrahmm

Abrahmm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

Well thank you for the advise guys, but I figured it out. I found an xp pro cd in my house and threw it in and boom loaded right up. Apparently that burned xp home disk I had would work in my old computer but not this one. Everything is running smooth as could be now! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users