Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

I have a old Windows ME PC in which the CD drive does not work. I want to install Reactos and was wondering if there was some other way to install it without using the cd drive.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

I am not familiar with ReactOS. Well except for the fact that it is still in alpha or beta testing. Is the CD drive not working at all or will the PC just not boot from CD. here are some options

1)If it will not boot from cd but still works just copy the boot.ini file from the CD over to a floppy after you burn the CD.
2)If the CD Dirve is shot but you can boot from a USB thumb drive. You can break up the ISO file and then copy it to the USB drive (sorry no known windows programs to do this although kiso (KDE-Linux) can)

Posted Image

#3 OmegamB

OmegamB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:51 PM

I am not familiar with ReactOS. Well except for the fact that it is still in alpha or beta testing. Is the CD drive not working at all or will the PC just not boot from CD. here are some options

1)If it will not boot from cd but still works just copy the boot.ini file from the CD over to a floppy after you burn the CD.
2)If the CD Dirve is shot but you can boot from a USB thumb drive. You can break up the ISO file and then copy it to the USB drive (sorry no known windows programs to do this although kiso (KDE-Linux) can)

I am able to boot from a USB thumb drive and have copied the ISO, but I'm not sure how to boot from one.

Posted Image

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

Reboot your PC and get into the BIOS (delete or f2 key most likely) and the find the boot section and select boot from USB as the first boot device. From there if your USB drive is properly set up all should work.

Posted Image

#5 OmegamB

OmegamB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

I've gotten to the boot menu and choose for it to boot from a removable device, but my flash drive is not listed under the media to boot from.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users