Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yoyo Boot Up Virus Attack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stuckinchico

stuckinchico

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

Yesterday when booting up computer, it freezes and displays Y(infinity symbol)Y(infinity symbol)
-I removed master hard drive inserted another HD, installed XP, Norton scanned new HD then old Slave HD. Nothing found. When accessing slave, I could access all files except my personal, My Documents, I got error message, this file is not accessable. All the other user my documents were accessable. Oh, one more thing, norton was able to scan My Documents. it has data even though when I right click on the file, it shows 0 files and 0kb.
-I then installed old infected master HD as a slave to run norton. The computer will not recognize the old master HD at all.

I am stuck, I don't really know the name of the virus. I would like to retrieve whatever data I can. I don't want any other computers on my network to become infected, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stuckinchico

stuckinchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

So Far nobody has replied to my posting.

Here is what I've accomplished so far.
-I entered the old slave drive under safe mode, changed the access and ownership rights and have been able to copy the data from My Documents to my new master drive and have recovered all that data.
-I would still like to recover the data on the old infected master however I can't get my computer to even recognize it.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED..

THANKS

STUCK IN CHICO

#3 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hello stuckinchico and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. It sounds more like a hard drive failure than an infection. Without being able to scan the drive we do not have the ability to see if it actually is anything other than a failure.

I would start in the Hardware forum. They can recommend various tools that might be able to access the drive even if it is damaged.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#4 stuckinchico

stuckinchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

Old timer, thanks for the reply!

Since my last post, I reinstalled the infected hard drive again as the slave, and............ this time it was recognized.

I was able to access and remove my data.

I then re-formated the drive and am now using it as a slave.

So far no boot up problems.

This is a seagate 160gb HD which is only six months old.

Do you still think it was a HD failure?

Stuck

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi stuckinchico. If the drive could be reformatted and used again then it probably was not a physical hard drive failure. If the drive goes bad again then it could be that it is a physical issue with the drive. Only time will tell.

A non-physical failure can occur from a couple of different issues. Each drive has a section on it called an MBR (for Master Boot Record). When booted, this section is read and tells the machine what type of drive it is and where to look for a partition with an OS (Operating System) on it. This section can become damaged through a non-standard shutdown (such as when there is a power failure or system crash) and thus the system becomes unbootable. Depending on whether the drive is formatted as FAT or NTFS, there are various tools to fix the MBR to make the drive bootable again.

If the partition section of the drive becomes damaged then the problem is a bit more complex. The partition information tells the OS where all of the files are on the drive, either through a FAT (File Allocation Table) for FAT formatted drives or through an MFT (Master File Table) for NTFS formatted drives. If these are damaged then complete recovery is less likely since the information as to where each file is located is partially or totally missing. Sometimes specialized software can be used to recover data off a drive with a damaged FAT or MFT.

Keep an eye on the drive and make sure that you have a backup of any important data stored on it. If it is a physical issue with the drive, it will fail again.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users