Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Za Free 6.5 -- I Forgot To Turn Off Windows Firewall!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

After all my planning, I go and install ZA Free 6.5.737 and *forget* to turn off Windows Firewall first. Gah!!!

So ZA did it's installing and it got to the screen where they want you to answer some stupid questionnaire. So, at that, point, I went into Windows Firewall unchecked all the exceptions and turned it off. I clicked next in the ZA setup and now the pop up box is there saying:

Setup Complete. Do you want to start ZoneAlarm now?

And I stopped there -- haven't clicked yes or no yet.

Did I just totally mess everything up?! :thumbsup:

Does the computer need to restart after you turn off Windows Firewall?

Should I click "No" here and restart my computer then turn ZA on? How would I do that?

Or can I just click Yes and I'll be fine...?

I can't believe I did that... :flowers:

I'm waiting to proceed -- please help as soon as possible -- thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

I think I'm okay... I'll post back if not... Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#3 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

bloom i have the fully paid-up ZA suite and it actually integrates the Windows XP firewall as part of its operations. If i was to turn off the WFW ZA would accomodate for that too. I'd say you have no problems here turning off the WFW and proceeding with the install, if in doubt follow all prompts to the end, shutdown and reboot, then open ZA and see if it has detected the WFW as off or on
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

bc, please relax! :thumbsup:

ZA when installing, since v6 if I recall correctly, shuts of Windows firewall during the installation.
If I'm wrong, you can go into ZA and on one of the screens is a switch to take care of it.

I gather you're ok now. In the future, when ZA tells you to reboot during installation, you do need to do just that. This applies to ANY program you install. And to tell you the truth, when I install things, I reboot anyway just to make sure all the changes really take place.

dfence - I use the suite also, but on one computer was free ZA and they shut of WFW. Unless I'm getting senile and confuse'm :flowers:

Edited by tos226, 10 August 2007 - 04:48 PM.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, all!

I turned Windows Firewall off and then let ZA load -- restarted computer (which I always do as well!) and all seems fine.

I'm trying to relax... I've just spent so much time researching this stuff to get the new laptop up and running and streamlined, and it's pretty darn stressful to me (especially now that my wireless mouse is causing the speakers to give off a high-pitched whine -- if I or the HP manager can't resolve it, it's going back).

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

be, your research will likely pay off.
Regarding this mouse-mic trouble: Are you talking built-in laptop speaker or external speakers connected to the laptop. If external, just pull'm out.

This is RF interference in my opinion.
1. try moving the mouse and the receiver-part further away from the mic
2. Adjust mic to min recording volume should be someplace on the sound or volume icon
These are totally wild guesses
Do you have a non-wireless old-fashioned mouse to use instead ?

Obviously something is wrong in the sound-drivers or the sound card is built badly.
But maybe not. I assume your mouse is plugged into USB port. It could be USB fault - it might be emitting hi freq stuff into the mic. Can you change to another USB port and or move things around more.

Edited by tos226, 10 August 2007 - 08:03 PM.

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

Muted mic, tried all USB ports. No dice. Haven't tried installing new drivers, but I may wait until I talk to the Service Manager I'm dealing with. I'll post back results either way. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 11 August 2007 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users