Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem When I Tried Burning Family Pics To Cd

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 bttorney

bttorney

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

I hope someone else has done this and can help. I thought I would be smart and copy all of my photos and movies of our two kids to CDs in case my harddrive on my computer crashed or otherwise. So, I selected all and attempted to burn them to a disk or two. Dummy me thought it would burn to one and then ask for another or tell me up front that it was too much for one CD. I got an error that there was too much and it cancelled the burn. But now, I can not access any of the photos or movies I tried to copy. They are still there (or at least part or all of the file is still there and I can see pics on the folders when I go to my pics) but when I click on the folder and try to view or access the pictures or movies, no preview is available and none of the programs I've tried will view the photos or movies. I'm not sure what I did exactly but I'm hoping someone else has done this and has a fix. I'm such an IDIOT for not copying them to another folder first!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:39 AM

It may be that---especially if you didn't use a CD burning application such as Nero---that Windows still expects these files to be burned to a CD and is "protecting" them. I suspect---I am no expert using anything but Nero--- that if you backtrace how you attempted to burn the files, you can find a way to cancel the burn to "release" the files.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

I haven't used the XP in-built burning capability but this is how it works. You can simply drag-and-drop files to be burned onto the Explorer icon for the optical drive. The files are then queued for burning. The queue remains until they are burned or you delete the files from the queue. If you select the drive in Explorer you should see all the files, really just special-looking links to the files. You should be able to select them (highlight them), right-click on the selection and choose Delete to get them out of the queue.

Try CDBurnerXP Pro (free)
http://cdburnerxp.se/download.php

Like Nero, you can drag-and-drop files and folders to be burned from the built-in Explorer pane to the compilation pane. A bar at the bottom of the window shows how much room the selected files take up on a CD and how much room is left.

#4 bttorney

bttorney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

I've tried what you both have suggested with no luck. I have been unable to locate any files waiting to be burned. I tried to burn a couple other files to a cd hoping the computer would bring up the "trapped" files but nothing but the new files were in the queue. Any suggestions?? I have NERO and sure wish I had used it instead of Windows Media Player. . . .

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

Your XP burning queue must be empty if only the newest files show up there.

If you have Nero then go ahead and use it. Nero is not connected to the XP burning utility and should work independently.

#6 bttorney

bttorney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

I tried burning about 10 of the "messed up" files to a cd with NERO last night and the files even when burned with NERO are still not viewable.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

See if this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article might be of help:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 bttorney

bttorney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

tg:

I read and followed the article you provided. All the boxes were checked "allow" for all of the files and folders (allow was shaded grey).

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:15 PM

Hi bttorney,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I'm no expert on this so maybe you might want to clear it with tg1911 before you try it...but have you tried doing a system restore? I mean it might help if you can reset your PC to the state it was in a couple of days before you goofed.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#10 bttorney

bttorney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

I think I tried a system restore to no avail. I did this in May and have been tinkering with it since then.

#11 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

You could try one of the free recovery programs below. I tried one long time ago ,but it didn't get all of what I was looking for, maybe you will have better luck where it hasn't been that long. I've read where some people have had success.

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

http://www.webattack.com/get/restoration.html

You might also want to try in the future a free burning program that a lot of people on a dvd forum use and say it's quite dependable,and easy to use. http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...escription.html

I use Cyberlink Power2go which come on my computer and is not free,but it will show a colored graft of the room you have on a cd plus what you have already put on it to be copied. You can download free trial. http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/download_hotlink.jsp

Forever Ain't so long anymore

#12 bttorney

bttorney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

I tried the suggested recovery programs to no avail

#13 bttorney

bttorney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

:thumbsup:

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:25 AM

Try this. In My Computer right-click on the CD-ROM drive and click properties. Click the "Recording" tab. Uncheck "Enable CD Recording on this drive", close out all the windows and reboot. Then, follow the same procedure but check "Enable...".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 bttorney

bttorney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

I tried the disable, reboot, enable reboot on the CD rom but the pics remain unviewable. Was there something else I was suppose to try??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users