Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

I dropped my laptop and it immediately turned off. It has windows xp. When I turned it back on I got a blue screen of death and then did last known good configuration, which brought me to the check disk screen. Check disk deleted two indexes and recovered three things. I assume that whatever it deleted off the hard drive and recovered means the hard drive was damaged, so do I need to buy a new one? The computer runs fine but I don't want the drive to deteriorate and lose all of my stuff if it eventually breaks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

Well i guess you're fairly lucky that it still works. A large drop for a spinning hard drive normally means goodnight. If it was me, I'd get a new drive before it packs up on you. Who knows how much that fall shortened your hardware's life.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

I called Dell to get a new one and my service contract is up so I'll have to buy a new hard drive. I want a bigger hard drive anyway (this one only has a gigabyte of free space left). So I guess I'll do the hard drive and memory upgrades that this computer has needed the whole time I've owned it.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:42 PM

trying to get a new hard drive tomorrow. I know that I need an ata connection, and I want a large capacity drive, but does the speed matter? My old one is 5100, do I need to get another 5100?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:54 AM

The newer ones are running a 7200 RPM and shouldn't be a problem. For a good selection check out what Newegg has.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

thanks partner

#7 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:09 AM

My old one is 5100, do I need to get another 5100?

Like dc3 said, you shouldn't have a problem with a higher speed. From what I've read, slower RPM drives address laptop batterylife and temperature. You might want to consider these factors. For example, the model of Toshiba Laptop I have has horrible battery life. If I didnt have it plugged in all the time I would consider a slower RPM drive. Just putting that out there as something to consider.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

hmm, glad I asked. I think I will go for the slower drive because mine is unplugged alot and has poor battery life even with the 5100 rpm one that's in there now. I usually can't watch a movie start to finish without plugging it in. I might just buy an external, save everything to that, and then when I have the money get a better computer. That way if this one buys the farm I won't lose my stuff, and I won't be rationalizing investing more money in a machine thats 4 years old, has an expired service plan, and was a lemon to begin with.

Haven't decided, you guys have given me much to mull, but at least now I know what my options are. Thanks again.

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

There are some 7200's that claim to have better battery life than 5400's, but if you do buy a 5400, buy one with a reputation for low battery consumption (and consider buying a new battery).
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#10 bringthepain

bringthepain

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:12 AM

<i> I usually can't watch a movie start to finish without plugging it in. </i>

With that short of battery life your hard drive is not the problem. Batteries over time loose their ability to hold a charge. This sounds like your problem. My friend had a year old laptop that would drain the battery in under an hour, he got a new battery and now has 5+hours of run time before it needs to be charged.

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:39 AM

There was a recall for battery of my computer ( I think sony makes them, the label is worn so I can't see) and I never replaced mine because I can't read the label. It might be the problem, but I'm sick of investing money and time in this pile, I'm getting a new computer next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users