Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Lag And Refresh

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wampy

Wampy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

I have been experiencing an issue with Firefox. When I go to a new page, it seems as if the page fully loads; however, after about 5 seconds, it seems to do some type of refresh.

For example, I go to blah.com. If I immediately minimize Firefox, it will automatically maximize itself in about 5 seconds and interrupt anything else I might be doing. This is on any type of webpage I view.

I have it updated, and the only add on enabled is the google toolbar. This isn;t happening on any other browsers on my PC, and it doesn't happen on my PC at work when I use Firefox.

I updated to 2.0.0.6 from the previous version, which also did this, and the issue is still there.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Wampy, 10 August 2007 - 09:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Wampy.

Try Firefox's Safe Mode.

If that does not fix the issue try creating a new Profile.
Creating a New Profile.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Wampy

Wampy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

I deleted the profile and created a new one, seems to be helping. Thanks.

#4 Wampy

Wampy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

Nope....its back.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

Have you tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of Firefox?
This is different from a simple uninstall, using Add/Remove programs.

Note: You will have to go back and redo all of your personal settings (Options), as deleting the Profile folder will erase everything Firefox related.
You will be starting with a clean slate.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This folder is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
This folder retains all of your previous settings, and will re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

Saving Bookmarks:
You might want to make a copy of the Bookmark.html file, before you uninstall, and save it to somewhere you'll be able to find it, later.
This is where all of your Bookmarks (Favorites) are stored.

1. Set windows to show hidden files:
How to see hidden files in Windows

2. Navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html

3. Make a copy of the Bookmark.html file, and save it to some place where you can find it, later.

Then, after the new install is complete, before starting Firfox, you can replace the new Bookmark.html you just created, with the old one, you just copied.
That way, you'll have all of your Bookmarks back.

How to Uninstall:

1. Download a fresh copy of Firefox.

2. Uninstall your current version of Firefox from Add/Remove programs.

3. Navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles

4. Delete the Profiles folder.

If you installed Talkback during custom install, navigate to C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Talkback \ MozillaOrg folder
Delete all Firefox(somenumber) folders found, for example; "Firefox10", "Firefox15", and "Firefox2".

5. Now, navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.

6. Reinstall your fresh version of Firefox.

Restoring Bookmarks:

1. Before restarting Firefox, navigate to, C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html

2. Delete the Bookmark.html file.

3. Replace the Bookmark.html file, you just deleted, with the one you copied in Step 3, under the Saving Bookmarks: section, above.

4. Restart Firefox, and see if it works.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Wampy

Wampy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

OK, thanks, I'll post soon and let you know how it goes.

#7 Wampy

Wampy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

Still the same, makes me think there is another program or something in Windows causing it, but have no idea what it would be. I keep spyware and all that cleaned up on a regular basis, but it doesn't seem to have any effect after removal.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

From reading your first post, this issue has been going on for quite a while now.... even before the last Firefox update.

Am wondering what kind of Settings issue this could be because if it was a Windows problem, your other Browser would be affected as well.

Eventho you have performed most of the steps outlined in the article Standard Diagnostics, please try the other solutions.

~ Edit~

I keep spyware and all that cleaned up on a regular basis, but it doesn't seem to have any effect after removal.

Are you dealing with Spyware issues at this time?

Edited by TMacK, 11 August 2007 - 02:06 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 Wampy

Wampy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

I have tried all of the suggestions, still having the same issue. As far as spyware issues, I have kept the PC pretty clean; I only mentioned it in case someone might know of something along these lines to cause this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users