Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Failure? Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Kyzneg

Josh Kyzneg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

I have a desktop that is not powering up. I have tried 3 different PSUs and two different cases, but the system simply won't power on, no fans, nothing. Everything is plugged in, and the power strip and outlet are both working with every thing else that has been plugged in to them. With the original PSU, when it is first plugged in and the PSU switch is flipped on, the fans spin for about a second, and then nothing. There is no response at all when pressing the power switch on the case. My suspicion is that the motherboard is faulty, but I don't want to spend money on replacing parts, just to find out that something else was causing the problem.

Motherboard: Intel D915GAV ATX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

Does your motherboard have an onboard LED? If so, does it light up once the PSU is connected to the motherboard?

#3 Josh Kyzneg

Josh Kyzneg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

yes, its lighting up

#4 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

Have you recently moved the PC at all? And are you completely sure that everything is plugged in correctly? If the motherboard LED is working, then it seems your motherboard is getting power. Is there any way your power button could have been damaged at the front of your case? Or is that why you used a totally different case?

Edited by xtatik222k, 10 August 2007 - 10:55 AM.

#5 Josh Kyzneg

Josh Kyzneg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

That was the reason for the different case. The problem started when the computer was shut down before a storm. It was shutdown properly, but would not start after the storm was over. The PC was not moved at that point, although it has been since then, mostly while attempting to fix it.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

Make sure the motherboard isnt grounding out on the case. Try it outside the case and see if it will POST

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Josh Kyzneg

Josh Kyzneg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Tried outside the case, no luck. Not too surprising, since there were no movements or changes to the system until after it stopped working.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

OOOH I miss understood the previous post then. Since the board doesn't even attempt to POST its most likely dead. There may be more damage then just the motherboard though. If you have a local computer shop see if they will test the components for you if you don't have a system to test them in. Have you tried the board stripped with only the Ram, CPU with HSF, and video card installed. See if the computer will post this way if it doesn't try without the video card unless its internal then try without the ram. If the computer POST it will then fail due to the removed component and you will know its bad then.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 Josh Kyzneg

Josh Kyzneg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

Unfortunately, I was already trying with various minimalistic configurations. Oh well, I was afraid it was the motherboard anyway, but thanks for helping to confirm it.

That being the case, anyone have recommendations for a replacement? Inexpensive, socket 775, DDR SDRAM, PCI Express x16, and preferably two ATA 100/66 connectors.

Edited by Josh Kyzneg, 10 August 2007 - 10:02 PM.

#10 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

I use the Asus P5N-e SLI, it's a really good quality board. It was 170 Australian, which I think in the market of motherboards, is quite good. You will get what you pay for, and sometimes forking out that extra fifty dollars can make the world of difference.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:34 AM

Asus makes a great board, I have had pretty good luck with MSI. I am currently running a Biostar with a Celeron processor this is my first board from them and so far no problems. It comes with overclocking software in the bios on this model.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users