Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Fails For "unspecified Error"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tcbva

tcbva

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

My computer is running Windows XP Media Edition. When it starts up I get the message that my disk needs to be checked for consistency and that chkdsk will run. It starts and then says chkdsk failed for an unspecified error. Since the error is "unspecified" I have no idea where to start to figure out the problem! My computer seems to run fine once Windows is up. Would inconsistency indicate that my hard disk may be getting ready to fail? Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:08 AM

You can do a couple of things to check out your hdd, go to my computer, right click on you hdd (this usually is your C drive), click on properties, click on the tools tabb, and under Error-checking click on Check now. This will show you if you have any bad sectors.

You can find out the make and model of you hdd by following the same instructions above except in properties click on the hardware tabb. With this information you can go to the manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic tool, you will need to transfer that to a CD. You should go into the BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order so that the CD you made will boot. After you boot from the CD it should prompt you to run the diagnostics.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users