Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lvramos

lvramos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:27 AM

Building a new computer, here are the pieces:

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM
Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
4GB (4x1) OCZ DDR2 PC2-800 RAM (OCZ2N800SR2GK)
Western Digital 750GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive
EVGA Ge-Force 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E video card
Lite-On DVD RW
Rosewill 850W power supply
Apexia X-Pleasure full tower ATX case

Put it all together, power it up, get the first beep, good..good.... then it froze! Oh NOes! I am wondering if I have a failed motherboard or a failed CPU. The machine gets to the AI Lifestyle P5N32-E SLI Plus page and you can enter the steup by pushing DEL or TAB to go to BIOS POST. Once in the setup though you have about 35 seconds before the machine freezes.

I managed to change the boot setup to boot from CDROM first and backed out to the main page, and hit F10 to save the changes. I then put the Vista OS disk in and rebooted the machine. It went through the initial boot screen, again showing first the AI Lifestyle P5N32-E SLI Plus page then it would show the Bios Post page, then it would start to boot up via the cdrom but will then freeze.

I am wondering if the motherboard is messed up or if it might be the CPU? How can you tell if one or the other failed? I think either would cause the machine to freeze up, but how to differentiate between them and isolate the problem? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by lvramos, 10 August 2007 - 04:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

Somewhere in your bios does it give you the temperature of your processor? It sounds like your processor is overheating. I'd suggest removing the old thermal paste on the processor and heat sink, and putting on new better stuff. My friend had a similar problem and this fixed it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

If you want to tell whats going wrong, you can turn your system on, wait until it dies, then feel the cpu heatsink quickly after it powers off. Be careful to ground yourself before doing so. If the heatsink is stone cold, it's likely that it's not conducting heat from the CPU, in which case your system is powering off to protect your processor. Nice system by the way ;)

Edited by xtatik222k, 10 August 2007 - 11:02 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

You can download Everest Home Edition which will so the temperatures that are in the BIOS, this way you can monitor your temperatures without accessing the BIOS. Did I mention that it's free.

Edited by dc3, 10 August 2007 - 11:16 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

Many mobo's use four LED's to help determine if there is a problem. You might want to see if your mobo provides this.

Check this out for troubleshooting (ASUS suport site):
http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/tr...SLanguage=en-us

Their forum might help with your particular issue:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board...SLanguage=en-us

Do you have an updated BIOS (I believe v801 for your mobo)?

You could also try booting with less stuff attached - e.g. use only one of your memory sticks. Make it as barebone as possible and see if the trouble continues. This might help pinpoint hardware conflicts.

Hope it helps :thumbsup:

[edit]fixed bad link, above.

Edited by jhsmurray, 10 August 2007 - 12:42 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#6 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

Try taking out one stick of RAM at a time.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

Since the computer gets past POST, signs lead to an overheating CPU.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users