Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Agp = No Dual Video Cards?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HMKRich

HMKRich

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:14 AM

Howdy. I'm a noob who wants to build a PC. Hopefully, I'll end up with a schweet PC and some new online buddies.

I'm trying to get a baisc education about PC parts so that I can more effectivly research my purchases. A few questions:

I recently got a BFG GeForce 7800 GS, which is an AGP card. Are there any motherboards that will allow me to use my existing card and another video card at the same time, or do I have to get a PCI video card?

I like to run two monitors. If I get a motherboard that will take two video cards, will it be able to run two monitors if I'm only using 1 video card?

I've realized that a case is more than just an empty box. Is there an online tutorial for case buying? Do I need to wait until I have my other components picked out before I shop for a case?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by HMKRich, 10 August 2007 - 02:49 AM.

I'm new here. Throw me a bone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:15 AM

You should probably read some of the Hardware aricles on howstuffworks.com before moving any further. also, you may want to check the AV Science forum for questions related to video.

Some cards believe it or not, give you more than one monitor output. Most if not all, AGP based motherboards only have 1 AGP slot. this is NOT always the case. Some newer boards have the AGP slot for compatability. This is somewhat rare however.

So do some research on those sites and get back to us. Oh BTW, be sure to look at tomshardwareguide.com for hardware reviews.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

For cases, it really only matters if your motherboard will fit. The case and motherboard should both tell you what their form factor is. The most common form factor is ATX. There is also micro ATX, which is smaller. Cases that support ATX support micro ATx too, but micro ATX cases don't support ATX motherboards. You probably won't see the other form factors much for modern motherboards/cases.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

You probably won't see the other form factors much for modern motherboards/cases.

Don't forget Nor underestimate BTX = Balanced Technology Extended as opposed to ATX =Advanced Technology Extended.
BTX offers improved airflow to provide better cooling, better placement of power supply, and more versitile cases and hardware configuration.

BTX is a standard created by Intel. Please see Intel Technology Magazine
http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/c...ing/dt10031.pdf

Also http://www.formfactors.org/

IMHO BTX has been underestimated.

#5 HMKRich

HMKRich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

Thanks guys.

To clarify my motherboard question: Is there anything that will allow an AGP graphics card and a PCI graphics card to be used simultaniously? If so, is the performance comprable to using two PCI cards simulataniously.

I don't care much about having a small case, but I would like to reduce noise as much as possible. I've also always felt that heat is the most underestimated enemy of computers, and it seems like BTX is a cooler form factor. But are they making BTX motherboards?

I have some plumbing/automotive experience, and I've been entertaining the idea of going with a liquid cooled system, though I'm not sure I understand all of it's disadvantages. Would I have to get components that are designed to be liquid cooled? And if the water pump goes out while I'm away from my desk, would the whole system go?

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:33 PM

Graphics card Stacking as I have just recently learned. Involves using and AGP card and a PCI card together. Since their two different ports you can use them simultaneously. IF your goal is to run 2 monitors you can run two from a single video card as long as it has dual video output which your 7800 GS does have. Plug one monitor into the VGA output and using the DVI adapter you can plug another into the DVI port. IF you don't have the adapter you can find one online.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

Most VGA/DVI cards come with an adapter now (both of mine did).

Posted Image

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

As has been said, most of the recent middle to high end graphics cards support dual monitor setups.
But to answer your question, yes, you can run an AGP and PCI video card at the same time. They won't run in parallel to improve your 3D graphic capability as is done with PCI express cards in SLI or Crossfire, but it will output multiple displays just fine. Both cards will retain their individual performance features.
Posted Image

#9 HMKRich

HMKRich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

As has been said, most of the recent middle to high end graphics cards support dual monitor setups.
But to answer your question, yes, you can run an AGP and PCI video card at the same time. They won't run in parallel to improve your 3D graphic capability as is done with PCI express cards in SLI or Crossfire, but it will output multiple displays just fine. Both cards will retain their individual performance features.

THAT answers the question that I've been trying to ask! So I need to get a SLI motherboard.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

you should probly read this article if your thinking about using SLIi or CrossFire http://www.custompc.co.uk/blogs/garethogde...to-memory-loss/

Posted Image

#11 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

Auto Mechanic: I think I blew out the radiator in my computer!

Repair Tech: The radiator, Sir?

Auto Mechanic: Yea, the leaky metal thing with the fan, and frosting on the sides.

Repair Tech: Let me show you a new computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users