Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Spyware Infection - Errorsafe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sweatyshoulder

sweatyshoulder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:42 PM

I was on a CNN type of site (which you'd think are safe, right? - Wrong). I got a popup that said something about cleaning my registry. Instead of hitting okay or cancel, I hit the big red X. And, of course, it directed me to a new site that said "Running ErrorSafe scan!" And I was like "NO!" and I xed out of that. A few more pages or popups came up momentarily, but I just Xed out of all of them...because by this time I was in a panic.

When it all ended, everything was fine. A good friend of mine, OmegaMB, told me that it was an Errorsafe spyware thingy. So, here I am, to the site he directed me to. Now what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

hello sweatyshoulder,welcome. Use the instructions in this link. Let us know how it goes or if you've any further questions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...10&hl=Vundo
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

Errorsafe is a rogue application, and is targeted by a great little program called Rogue Remover. I would suggest that you download, install and update. Then run the program and see if anything is still left over on your machine. If it is you should the follow the directions in the Preparation guide for posting a hijack this log.

Edit to put in correct link.

Edited by oldf@rt, 09 August 2007 - 10:54 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

hello sweatyshoulder,welcome. Use the instructions in this link. Let us know how it goes or if you've any further questions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...10&hl=Vundo

I just wanted to point out that we're not sure hes infected yet. i redirected him here to see if he could get help identifying if he has a problem.

Posted Image

#5 sweatyshoulder

sweatyshoulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Well, I ran a virus scan and it came up clean. That's good, for a start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users