Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:01 PM

Okay, Pepsi spilled all over the keyboard. I got sticky keys here. I soaked up all I could and flipped it over to dry out. Which keyboards are the ones that have removable keys? Or do I just try to take one out and see? :thumbsup:

I've got another keyboard that works just fine but this one is smoother and quieter. Can ya help?

What's the best way to clean keeyboards and what about removable keys?

This is OUT of the question... :flowers: .

Edited by TexasAngel67, 31 January 2005 - 08:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:39 PM

You could throw the keyboard in with your whites next time you do laundry. Not knowing which KB you have, it is difficult to say whether the keys are removable or not, though most are. Quite frankly, whenever I have done something like this, I end up buying another keyboard, since the keys (I am not very careful in removing) tend to wobble or come off afterwards.
I generally just wipe off the keys with a dampened cloth, and use a swab to get between them.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

I usually fashion a key-puller from a large paper clip, using a needle-nose plier.
- Straighten the clip.
- Bend into U-shape.
- Bend short (1/16") opposing points.

Use the tool as you would a chip-puller to pull individual keys. Use Q-tips and Windex to clean out the sticky residue under the keys.

Some keys (such as the space bar) have springs and hardware under them. Don't lose 'em.

Or - throw out the keyboard and buy a replacement for $10.

Hope this helps!

#4 JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:31 PM

I will have to agree with the others. Purchasing another one would probably be your best bet. Get one with a PS2 connection so you do not have to worry about the ones with a USB connection. It would not be bad to have anyway. When you get it, you can try to clean it out by taking it apart, but with a replacement, at least you will have something to use while you are taking your time with that one.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:36 AM

Hey 67, lol at the link.........it'd take all day to do that.....BoooooooHoooooo

Just go an get a new one .....you owe it to yourself any way don't you.

Little tip.......if you wern't such a coke freek this wouldn't have happened - lol.

I have a new dell k/b atm. It has two USB ports running along the top edge......I use flash sticks a lot and I find it great for them as I don't have to grovell at the back of the case to insert them.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 02 February 2005 - 12:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users