Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Processes Are Needed To Run Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi there,

Yesterday I installed a new program and noticed it is running in slow motion. I checked taskmaster and saw that I had 61 procesess running!! I don't have the faintest idea of what they all are but I would like to use only the basic required items. I would only want to have my anti virus program, firewall, wireless internet adapter and spysweeper running in the background. Does any one know how I can do this? I am one of those old senior citizen folks, not very not very computer literate and need all the help I can get.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Use the tab labeled Startup List, at the top of this page, to check your running processes to see if they are necessary, to have running at startup.
Any programs you don't need, you should be able to disable using the programs Options menu.

If you have any questions about any of them, just post them in this topic, and someone will help you out.

You can free up some of your resources, by disabling unnecessary Services.
A good site to use for this, is BlackViper's site.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

Thanks,

I have gone to the Black Viper web page and followed the proceedure for freeing up services. I was not able to reduce the number of running processes by very much though. I created a new profile, per the instructions, disabled many services that were deemed to be in the "safe" category but I did not notice any difference in the game.

I am confused as to what the difference is between a process, program, application and service. If I want to be able to free up my computer enough to play this game, what should I be trying to eliminate.

Edited by nu2this, 03 September 2007 - 07:36 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:52 AM

A program and an application are the same thing. For example, Microsoft Word is a program.

By definition, a process is anything that shows up in the Task Manager.

From The Elder Geek Website:

What are services? By definition, it's a program that runs invisibly in the background. But can't the same thing be said for a number of programs that run in the background such as anti-virus programs? Yes, but the real difference is that services load and start running whether or not anyone logs into the computer, unlike a program that is launched from the Startup Folder under All Programs.

If you're trying to free up your computer resources then I would disable any services you don't need (which I think you have already done) and then I would use AutoRuns to see what is configured to run at System Boot/Login and disable any that are not needed.

Does this new game you have require internet access? If not, one thing you could do is to disconnect your computer from the internet and then turn off your anti-virus and firewall to free up some more resources. Just be sure to re-enable them before going back on the net.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hi nu2this. There are XP services that can be set to Manual or simply Disabled. I have verified all these settings. This should help speed up your system.

Start, Run, type "services.msc"

Change the "Startup Type" to Manual, then select
"Apply" and "OK", repeat for all of the following:

The following is a list of Services that you can set to MANUAL on most systems
for increased performance unless otherwise noted:

Alerter (already disabled)
Clipbook
Cryptographic Services
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Error Reporting Service (DISABLE)
Fast User Switching
Help and Support (DISABLE ?)
Human Interface Access Devices (already disabled)
Indexing Service
IPSEC Services
Messenger (DISABLE) (already disabled)
Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Portable Media Serial Number (already disabled)
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (already disabled)
Remote Procedure Call Locator (already disabled)
PRO Remote Registry
Routing & Remote Access (already disabled)
Secondary Logon
Security Center (Disable if using non-MS firewall)
Server
SSDP Discovery Service (already disabled)
PRO Telnet
Universal Plug and Play Device Host (already disabled)
WebClient
Windows Time
Workstation

========================================================================================

The following is a list of Services that should always be set to Automatic:

Automatic Updates - (Required by Windows Updates)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service - (Required by Windows Updates)
COM+ Event System - (Required by BootVis and other Applications)
Cryptographic Services - (Required to confirm the signature of Windows system files, Protected Root Services and Key Services)
DCOM Server Process Launcher - (Required by Disk Defragmenter)
DHCP Client - (Required for Cable/DSL connections and Routers)
DNS Client - (Improves Internet Performance)
Event Log - (Required by Windows and cannot be Stopped)
Logical Disk Manager - (Required to manage and update your Harddrives)
Network Connections - (Required by Network Connections)
Plug and Play - (Required by your System Hardware, Never Disable This!)
Print Spooler - (Required by Printers)
Protected Storage - (Required to protected sensitive data and to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.)
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - (Required by Windows, Never Disable This!)
Security Accounts Manager - (Required to store security information for local user accounts)
Security Center - (Notifies you of you Firewall and AntiVirus Status)
Shell Hardware Detection - (Required by the AutoPlay feature)
System Event Notification - (Required by various Applications)
System Restore Service - (Required by the System Restore feature)
Task Scheduler - (Required by the Windows Prefetcher, BootVis and Norton AV, Never Disable This!)
Themes - (Required by the new look of Windows XP)
Windows Audio - (Required for Sound)
Windows Management Instrumentation - (Required by Windows, Never Disable This!)

Edited by WinCrazy, 04 September 2007 - 11:54 AM.

#6 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

Thanks wincrazy,

I notice that in the top list you say to set Cryptographic services to manual, but in the lower list you say to set it to automatic.

Am I missing something?

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

WinCrazy,
Nice lists, thanks! Good to have it in one place.
Two things I noticed though
In the disable group: Workstation service should run if a person wants File and Printer sharing.
In the run always group: are you sure about DCOM server? It has no dependencies either way.

Automatic updates and Background Inteligent transfers -- well, why should the services run all the time when the updates happen once a month (if you allow). I'd shut them off. Especially BITS. Lord only knows what might get transferred while you're not watching. Just my opinion.

Every computer these days comes with even more services than the standard Microsoft list. They're due to bloatware installed by manufacturers in order to get kickbacks for advertising. Many do run as services and needlessly so. Touchpad utilities, screen adjustments, hotkey utilities, AOL, AT&T dialers, Adobe (use Foxit!) and many, many more.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:31 AM

Services are a bit tricky - they are programs, but some of them run a bit differently than most programs. In the Task Manager - Processes tab you'll notice a column that says User Name. Each of the user names present has a different set of privileges that it's allowed to use.

As a current example, the new release of AdAware 2007 has a service that must be run under the user name of System as the Local Service doesn't have sufficient privileges for it to run. So, in order to make the application portable, you'll have to tell the service to log on (in the Log On tab of the Properties of the service in question) as System (rather than as Local User) in order for it to work.

More on services here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...gch07n.mspx#EJD
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

Turning off indexing helped me the most.
Here is another guide similar to Black Viper.
Experiment to find out what is best for you.
Stopping all startups except firewall, antivirus, and a few other programs also improves performance.

http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id01.html

#10 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

Turning off indexing helped me the most.
Here is another guide similar to Black Viper.
Experiment to find out what is best for you.
Stopping all startups except firewall, antivirus, and a few other programs also improves performance.

http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id01.html

Yeah the indexing service was slowing my machine down, too. I looked into it and it apparently indexes your files to increase the speed of the Windows search feature. Since I have many files saved on multiple hard drives, I'm guesssing this was my problem, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users