Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Password Protect Certain Drives/folders & Files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

Sometimes I let other people uses my laptop. Sometimes I let my nieces & nephews watch movies or play games on my laptop. It always makes me nervous to let other people use my PC. I don't what anybody accidentally deleting/altering anything & I certainly don't want any "lil' eyes " stumbling onto any files that might be errr...hard to explain. Is there a safe way to password protect certain Drives &/or Folders on a drive &/or a certain File in a folder? I imagine there must be some easy way to do it. I just don't know how. It doesn't have to be Gov't rated security, just something that will foil a computer savvy 10year old. There is a password obviously you need to boot up windows upon start up. I want to be able to give them access to the system but limit some folders/files. ( besides my 10 year old cousin figured out my boot up password in 10 seconds)
A few side questions: If I can password protect a file or folder (say Scarface.avi) & I do a PC search for all video files will that file show up?
If so is there a way to protect the file & make it invisible to "video file search"?
If I were to get a password program that provides max. protection any suggestions on types, brands etc.. (my bro uses a PGP program)
Thanks!
=======
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:07 AM

I should add, I googled the answer. When I go to the My Computer,folder,right click,properties,sharing. I can not check "Make folder private". Plus I want it to ask for a password if you try to access that folder.
-----
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:14 AM

Go to this link and scroll down to the section that says File Encryption - there are several freeware application that you can use. Also, one easy thing to do is to put all the files you want to protect into a .zip file and then password protect that.

1. Using Windows Explorer, locate the first file you want to zip.
2. Right click on the file and select “Send To” and “Compressed (zipped) Folder.” This will create a new compressed folder with the same name as the file, except with the extension .zip.
3. Right click any other file you want to compress and select “Copy.”
4. Right click on the compressed folder you created in step 2 and select “Paste.” The copied file was pasted into the compressed folder. Repeat this until your compressed folder contains all the files you want.
5. Right click on the compressed folder and select “Explore.”
6. In “File,” select “Add a Password.” Enter the password and confirm the password.

Edited by Budapest, 10 August 2007 - 02:15 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:57 AM

Hi Budapest
Do you delete the original files after doing the above?
Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:05 AM

If you do not want anyone to be able to see the files then yes, you should delete the originals (and then empty the recycle bin).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users